PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Motorola Talkabout Radio

laundryeater
July 11th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Hey- almost all Motorola radios are sold in pairs and I only want 1 with a 30 to 35 mile range! Does anybody have an extra they're willing to sell or want to buy a new set and split them?

Send me a message!

Thanks,
-Theo

N2MINI
July 11th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Don't worry too much about the range. Unless you spend about $250 or more, it's not going to go more then a couple of miles.. Key marketing wording on these is " UP TOO" 20-25 mile range.. My set came with a charging base so no way to separate the set really.

laundryeater
July 11th, 2014, 11:17 AM
The little ones I have definitely don't have the range of the larger radios though- I could tell from the Blue Ridge Parkway Tour so I'm looking for just one.

jcauseyfd
July 11th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Even if you get something like these Midlands with a claimed range of 36-miles:

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT1000VP4-36-Mile-50-Channel-Two-Way/dp/B001WMFYH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405088346&sr=8-1&keywords=gmrs+radio

you will still have an effective range of only about 1-2 miles when in the mountains. Almost all of the blisterpak-type 2-way radios come in at under $100 for a pair.

If no one has a spare they want to sell and you can't find someone who is willing to share the cost (not sure what you'll do about the charging stand if you go that route), just set the spare aside and save it for when your main unit fails. Most of the ones I've seen tend to only last about 4+/- years before going bad.

If you really do want something much more powerful, you'll need to look at professional grade 2-way radios running in excess of $200 per radio. Those typically have to be programmed by frequency (I do have a list of common ones), sometimes using computer software. Technically, those often require an FCC license.

laundryeater
July 11th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Well you guys have talked me out of it! Thanks for the sound advice.

T10
July 11th, 2014, 08:47 PM
I have a set of Motorola T7200 radios that work very well. Check www.wirelesspro.com for availability. Not cheap but may come in handy one day. We indeed are "living in interesting times" as the saying goes.

WINGS
July 12th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Those T7200 look like an interesting "Better" option than the throwaway ones, at least you can get real accessories for them. How's the volume? I went to the commercial radio and it's way louder with the auxiliary clip on lapel speaker. Makes a huge difference.

N2MINI
July 13th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Volume is a big deal. For those of us with a cabrio, it is very hard to hear the radio at all. Almost need an ear piece...