PDA

View Full Version : BMW Vehicle Distribution Center

Tom
June 17th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Came across this thread on NAN

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21112

Seams there is one of these in Greenville SC... Anyone ever tried to get a tour?

TWISTER
June 17th, 2008, 10:34 AM
What a great idea Tom. Why don't you contact them and see if its possible and then we can move forward with plans

Tom
June 17th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Sure will be glad to see whats what.. Just wanted to make sure it had not be done before...

1QukMINI
June 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Great idea. Cool place! When I was last there, they weren't giving tours, as they X6 was being produced for testing there.

tarlander
June 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Big looking place from the highway. I haven't hear about tours for a couple of years but it wouldn't hurt to ask. It's not far into SC on I-85, exit 60 (if I remember right) Hwy. 101.

Tom
June 24th, 2008, 04:14 PM
We can get a tour of the factory, and the VDC is on the tour but I was told no so far on just a extended tour of the VDC b/c that is a area that requires steel toe boots etc etc... but have a another path I am working on, just might take some time. ..

Orionizer
October 23rd, 2011, 07:45 AM
Did anything ever happen with this? If not, I'd be very interested in going and it would be a great day trip!

blitzcat
October 31st, 2011, 01:11 AM
I went with a friend to take 'port delivery' of a new 3 series, and we did the factory tour there at the museum as part of the delivery package. Similar stuff to the VDC but with more robots, welding, etc. They build the X series cars there I believe.

The drive down is droll but it would be fun with a bunch to go for the tour and see the old cars.

Orionizer
October 31st, 2011, 07:13 AM
Are you talking about Greenville, SC? Is that not where the VDC is? If not, where is the VDC?

blitzcat
October 31st, 2011, 10:14 AM
Yeah the VDC is there but I don't remember touring it. Maybe it just isn't part of the Port Delivery package, for time reasons or because its so similar to the factory tour.

They have a fancy customer pick up center if you are getting your car there instead of at the dealer. It has 8 or so private showrooms, cafeteria, and the BMW M school. The factory and museum were about a mile away in a much larger facility, and I think the VDC was there also. But we never got out that far in the tour.

Nascar Mini
October 31st, 2011, 11:39 AM
I took the tour several years ago when it was part of the Euro Auto Festival and it was pretty impressive.(X-3 and X5's) Used to be the build place of the Z3's and location of the Roadster Reunion. Since then they have been under a huge remodeling / retooling project i was told and were not doing tours as of yet.I was at Eurofest several weeks ago and the muesum is still a neat place to see if you've never been,and it's free.
Bill