PDA

View Full Version : Re: Do our MINIs need a touch of their home culture?

MINIFIED
November 14th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Re: TTT -- a slight change of plans?

There had been some talk earlier this summer about rotating the Thursday meeting spots .. someone had even suggested downtown Raleigh for one of the dinners.

There is a new pub opened downtown called the Oxford
[link to article from N&O: http://www.newsobserver.com/lifestyles/food_fitness/story/1291007.html]

I had an idea that our little british cars might like their owners to enjoy some little british fare .. it's referred to as a gastro-pub .. (read the article!)

I will plan to check out the parking situation, whether or not reservations are needed and for how many etc. but what I do need to know is -- do we want to plan this for December? That would be the 11th and the club event (for charity) is the 13th.

Or wait til January?

Or suspend Thursdays dinners (which I think was done in the past over the winter?) until later next year? (Feb, just before Valentine's Day)

I hope we can plan someplace that gets everyone enthused about getting together, and with the holidays understanding that it's a busy time of year, it may work better to have a TTT hiatus for a while ...

What's the consensus?

(PS I'm going to post this to a new thread also since some of these notes get buried .. and who knows, maybe we'll get a few club members from out of area to join us who don't usually read this thread -- so sorry for the duplication -- if ya know me at all, you know economy of expression is not my fort? :girl_wacko:)

colejd
November 16th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Sounds great. I'm for it.:yes4:

Hunter99
November 18th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I really want to get more involved with the club, especially the triangle group. I wouldn't be able to do Dec. But should be able to do Jan. without a problem.

colejd
November 25th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I checked out the Oxford at lunch on Sunday. Nice. Good menu. The only disadvantage is the lack of parking. The location facing the old Fayetteville Street Mall has little to no parking. What's the fun of Mini owners gathering if you have to parking in a parking garage a block away. :no:

MINIFIED
November 26th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks Jeff .. I haven't gotten there yet .. since there have not been follow up posts I'm speculating that most club members are on over-load of holiday commitments and that perhaps after the first of the year is a better plan (I notice that the W/S group that usually meets weekly is going to a once-a-month schedule for the winter months so not too surprising that there's less interest right now)

As far as parking, we will likely have an issue with parking *anywhere* downtown but there are club members who have expressed an interest in planning an occasional TTT downtown .. if I can find a meeting place for everyone and we can parade to parking not far from the restaurant (even if it's the deck) that will be as much fun, especially in the days when it gets dark early so no one will see the cars parked anyway ..

I'm still thinking for the February date just before Valentine's Day .. any other input?

(sorry that the prior link to the article no longer works, this article is a little shorter but today at least the link does work ..

http://www.newsobserver.com/1158/story/1291632.html)