Close

Club Sponsor

Please purchase from our sponsors whenever you can.

Flow MINI of Raleigh

Name
    Larry & Veronica
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Chili Red
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI

New Mini Owner..purchase the $1700 Extended Service Plan advice

I have owned my Mini for 3 days and am having a blast driving it. I have been reading A LOT at North American Motoring.com and it seems to be a good idea to buy the 6 year/ 100k Full Maintenance Upgrade.

Half the people say its a big savings to pay up front, and the others say its not worth it. I owned a 1996 Land Rover Discovery 5-speed a while ago and I know how expensive service can cost.

This is the plan that covers all the oil changes, brake service, coolant service, wiper blades, THE CLUTCH (which I have read is a weak point in the Mini) and the 60,000, 90,000 services.

Flow Mini has those shop prices at $ 6,000, but you can buy it all up front for $1700.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Here is my Miini (and my co-pilot) before window tinting thats going on tomorrow.

Thanks,

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Thom
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper Convertible
    Color
    Hot Orange
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    I purchased an extended warranty, but mine was more due to the number of miles I was driving in a year. Both warranties were gone by year 3. On our new Mazda we did purchase the warranty as well. I like them because I don't like the cost of emergency service.

You mention the clutch??? I have 112,000 on the original clutch of my car, I'd have to disagree with it being a weak point. Now if I would have know I could have fried it and had it replaced at some point under warranty, that might have been a different story. I don't drive the car that hard (my wife would disagree).

It comes down to personal needs, really. You're going to get opinions from people that never needed them and think they are a waste of $ and you'll hear from people that may have saved > 2 or 3k because of some failure.
    Thom
    http://www.tarheelminis.org/signaturepics/sigpic1264_1.gif

Creater of Cartographic Cleverness jcauseyfd's Avatar
    Name
    Jeff
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Chili Red
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI

My Social Networking

Follow jcauseyfd On Twitter Add jcauseyfd on Facebook Add jcauseyfd on Google+
    Add jcauseyfd on Linkedin Visit jcauseyfd's Youtube Channel Visit jcauseyfd's Vimeo Channel
    With 75k miles on my 08 MCS, the only thing so far the extended maintenance plan would have covered would have been an oil change and a brake job. MINI wanted almost $900 to do my brakes and that would have been OEM. I was able to do aftermarket (which imo gave me some additional benefits) for only about $650 (and that is b/c I had to invest in some tools). Thus far I am ahead of the game compared to what the extended plan would have covered.

jcauseyfd | CROC #361 | www.totehmoon.com/blog/ | 2008 CR/W MCS "MINI WUF"

2014 Year of Motoring
    January - New Year of Motoring Run 2014
    February - BE MINE Rally
    March - The Irish Job
    April - Dogs and Dash
    May - THMMC Happy Anniversary and Memorial Day Motoring Celebration
    June - Blue Ridge Parkway Tour 2014
    July - Summer Heat Rally
    August - Sunrise Rally
    September - Labor Day Loop de Loop
    October - Mystery in the Mountains Run
    November - The Return of Turkey: Strut Back Into Action
    December - THMMC Toy Run

I've been everywhere in my MINI
    Name
    Johnny
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Lightning Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI

My Social Networking

Add laardilla21 on Facebook
    I have an aftermarket extended plan, and wish I had purchased the one from MINI. I recently had a gasket issue, and used the aftermarket warranty to get it fixed. I only paid $100 out of pocket, which was way better than paying for the whole job. My plan does not cover the clutch, but I will probably change mine out for an aftermarket one when it finally goes anyways. I think it would be a great idea to buy it. I was quoted $2100 for the MINI one when I bought my car.
    Buster
    2012 Cooper S
    Lightning Blue

Name
    Larry & Veronica
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Chili Red
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    @Laardilla21....the plan I am talking about is not an extended warranty, but rather a scheduled service and maintenence agreement for regular scheduled intervals. I also know of the warranty they offer that extends the 36,000 mile bumper to bumper out for a few more miles.

I'm not sure which, if any, is worthwhile at this point since I have only been in the Mini "culture" for a week or so reading forums and stuff. From what I can tell the Mini is not a problematic car, but like anything else "performance and foreign" when it does break it costs more than a GM product to fix.

I've been everywhere in my MINI
    Name
    Johnny
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Lightning Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI

My Social Networking

Add laardilla21 on Facebook
    Agreed. Also, the forums tend to be a bit negative because it is where everyone goes to complain about things that DON'T work on their cars.

My MINI has been great with very few issues. When it comes to the maintenance plan, I guess it depends on how fast you think things are going to wear out. I change my oil every 7500 miles. MINI will only change it for free when your MINI says it is time for a change. Most folks have it done at around 7500, and pay for it, then get a free one 7500 miles later. If it was me, I would get it just for that benefit. Haha.
    Buster
    2012 Cooper S
    Lightning Blue

Cruisin' the Twisties
    Name
    Greg
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    2012?
    Model
    Wishing
    Color
    Astro Black
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    If you need a clutch, let me know. I had to replace mine at 25,000 miles, and the warranty did not cover it. So, I am having it refinished (if it can be) and will offer it for sale. New replacement was $1100 for JCW clutch.
    We Drive the Twisties Everyday!

Cruisin' the Twisties maacodale's Avatar
    Name
    Dale
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Clubman S
    Color
    Laser Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    My sons MINI is an 07 with 80K miles. It's been maintained better than MINI says to. Oil changes between 5 & 7K miles. Regularly. Always good quality premium gas. Services by MINI at their suggested intervals. All that and we just had to put a motor in it! I would most assuredly suggest an extended warranty. In fact we just bought one for or 09 Clubman S.

Expensive, but 7 grand for a new motor makes it pale in comparison. Get the warranty!
    Dale Blankenship
    Poquoson, VA
    07 very UN-Mellow Yellow pearl MCS (Living the good life in Orlando)
    09 Laser Blue Clubman S (happily motoring since 11/9/08)
    06 Tuxedo Black Metallic Cabrio S (Topless in Bull Island)

Name
    Jason C.
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper JCW
    Color
    Pepper White
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Just to tag onto what Greg said,... I very recently had to have my clutch replaced as well, 24k miles and MINI certified up to 100.... it WAS NOT COVERED according to Flow in Winston. I threw a fit and got it for half price but just so you know,... if it comes down to it, they'll say that clutches are a maintenance issue, NOT covered by warranty,.... all things considered, I've heard many many folks say they were really glad they got the extended warranty.

p.s. Tell Jackson Bully says HI !!!!

Name
    Larry & Veronica
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Chili Red
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Bully (and others),

Why is it that on a compact car like this a clutch would go out at 25,000 miles?!!?!?!!?

I have owned several dirt bikes, harleys, and other manual transmission cars in my short 38 years. I am a very "gentle" shifter if you know what I mean. Why is it that on so many forums people are bitching about the clutches in the MINI going bad early? I can understand the brakes being expensive to replace, since they are so soft and grab so well there has to be a trade off. But a clutch....come on... thats chicken sh!^*&%&.

Im sorry to rant, but I have been driving my 2011 MINI "S" for 3 days now and I am addicted.....please tell me I didnt buy a teaser car that WOWS you at the dealer, and then drains your savings keeping it on the road after the first 24 months.

Larry

Name
    Bryan & Kim
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper
    Color
    Hot Orange
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Something I have learned since buying my 06 MINI and following 3-4 MINI web site forums is you will hear all the bad stuff more then the good..
    If you didn't join a club and follow the forums you'd never know of any of the bad stuff and just love your car till it breaks, think it was a fluke, pay for it and move on..
    I have never followed any car forums till the MINI but I bet that most any car club or forum will have their share of bad experiences with said car...
    It's just that you didn't hear about it as much till the internet came along and we started following these car forums..
    I bet way less then a 1/4 of the people that own a MINI are part of a forum so there are thousands of other cars out there performing well.. and some that are having a problem of some sort..
    That doesn't make right for the few people that are having a problem though.. Just think it is probably the same for any brand...
    Stuff like this is why alot of people keep a car only as long as the warranty and then trade again.. and hope that anything that does go wrong is actually covered..
    Also why some people buy an aftermarket warranty so it is not up to MINI to decide if it is covered, and have actually heard of them helping you to get it covered under that plan so they get the work!!!

'06 MC, Cabrio, HO, 5 Speed,
    M7-USS, Megan Racing Coilovers w/adj. Camper Plates & Exhaust, ASA-R1 18'' Wheels, Aero Kit, H-Sport adj. Control Arms & Sway Bar, TSW adj. End Links, Helix Short Shifter, VIP Engine Damper, DDM Air Intake, Hidden Fog Lights, Custom Vinyl Work thru Out..

I didn't need that 401K anyway!!

Name
    Mark
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Space Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Yep and how many times do you hear people post on a forum: "car is running great, no problems at all!"? It's sorta like in my business, if we make someone happy they will tell a couple of their closest friends and associates, make a mistake and they will tell every single person they can find to listen..... There is probably some sort of ratio, like for every one disgruntled owner there is probably a multiple of happy and satisfied owners. If not, at least they won't stay in business very long...or continue to sell said car very long.

The Mini is gone but not forgotten, what a ride it has been with the best people, the best Mini club and most fun little car I have ever owned!!!

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough.
    -Parnelli Jones

Name
    Thom
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper Convertible
    Color
    Hot Orange
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogmini View Post
    .....please tell me I didnt buy a teaser car that WOWS you at the dealer, and then drains your savings keeping it on the road after the first 24 months.

Larry
    My MINI came from Northeast Ohio's snow belt (5 years there). I drove it > 80K up there and only really did "normal" maintenance. Last summer I took the car to Dan @ Grassroots for some maintenance that cost about $600 and again this year another $450 I think. I don't think that is too bad for the amount of miles and fun we have had in the car. I need to replace my exhaust because the entire outer skin of the muffler is gone, the steel brackets holding it up are gone but I keep putting it off because Dan told me there aren't any holes in the exhaust yet (so the muffler is wired up). I have to say, I have never had a car that has been so fun after 5 years. I don't seem to be getting any more tired of driving it!

You bought something you'll want to keep for a long time!!!
    Thom
    http://www.tarheelminis.org/signaturepics/sigpic1264_1.gif

Name
    Larry & Veronica
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Chili Red
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Thanks for your post Thom!
    The guys at Grassroots are not too far from me and I always like to support a local business owner. I take it from your post that you are more than happy with their service and work on your MINI. I dont know much about these high tech import cars, but do they have all the computers and connectors to hook up to the MINI and diagnose all the sensors and stuff? I like this car alot and want to make sure it lasts a while.

Thread Information