Close

Ľ Club Sponsor

Please purchase from our sponsors whenever you can.

Euro Motors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1st Gear
    Name
    Henry
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Dark Silver
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI

Crankshaft Pulley Failure

Last year in June my crankshaft pulley failed on my '05 Cooper S. The rubber section between the inner and outer parts of the pulley detached. The end result was an overheated dead MINI. I replaced the pulley with an ATI unit. All was good, that is until December when the head gasket went. Which I suspect was related to the overheating when the pulley went in June. So another learning opportunity on MINI construction becomes available. I completed repairs to the head and added a couple of mods while I had things apart and all was good, that is (stop me if you've heard this before...) until the alternator pulley started to make a awful racket just before it fell off. The point of all of this is I should have seen the cascade of failures coming, since the engine over heated I should have pulled the head and had it checked when I did the crankshaft pulley. Likewise since the alternator is driven by the serpentine belt and that was wobbling all over the place while the crankshaft pulley was failing I should have been looking at that as well, but... So when you have a part fail check everything around it it may save you time in the end.

Name
    Mark
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Space Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Good advice!

The Mini is gone but not forgotten, what a ride it has been with the best people, the best Mini club and most fun little car I have ever owned!!!

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough.
    -Parnelli Jones

Name
    Stan
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Chili Red
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Was the crankshaft pulley that failed an early type or the so-called later "improved" version? Inquiring minds want to know!

1st Gear
    Name
    Henry
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Dark Silver
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Sorry I have no idea when the improved versions showed on the R53's. Mine is an '05 but Idon't know the build date so I can't help you there. If it was the improved version it wasn't much of an improvement. I will say that it had the good graces to fail after 2 days at the track rather than on the track.

Name
    Ben
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Hyper Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    They upgraded the pulley with the 05 refresh, so it's probably the "improved" model. I busted my crank pulley at VIR last fall and replaced it with the ATI version. I guess the good part about having a part fail on the track is you know right away that it's dead. Haven't had any related problems since.

Stan, with the crank pulley you basically have two options: an ATI elastomer-based damper or a fluid-filled damper. The former is more expensive and rebuildable, the latter is a bit cheaper and supposedly more resistant to heat. I think the fluid filled pulley brand is PRW.

http://www.motoringalliance.com/foru...html#post68483
    2006 HB/W MCS with the heart of a race car.

Name
    Mark
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Space Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Both are good. I actually have the RMW fluid damper on the way for mine as we speak. :)

My OEM hasn't failed yet but thought I would go ahead and replace it with a better unit and try an circumvent another problem at the track.... ;)

The Mini is gone but not forgotten, what a ride it has been with the best people, the best Mini club and most fun little car I have ever owned!!!

-Parnelli Jones

1st Gear
    Name
    Henry
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Dark Silver
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Mark, that's a great idea to replace it now especially as the aftermarket designs are better and cheaper than the OEM parts. One word of caution for owners who are thinking about upgrading their pulley, if your car will see track use do not buy a light weight undampened pulley. They may be fine for a full race motor that will see regular teardowns and inspections, but for the rest of us there is just too much stress on the crankshaft to take the chance of breaking the crankshaft. Remember these engines are generating a lot power for their size and that crankshaft need all the help it can get to stay in one piece. Besides if we aren’t going as fast as we want it’s probably not a lack of power under the hood as I suspect most of our cars are faster than we are even if we won’t admit it.

Name
    Ben
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Hyper Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaorMini View Post
    Mark, that's a great idea to replace it now especially as the aftermarket designs are better and cheaper than the OEM parts. One word of caution for owners who are thinking about upgrading their pulley, if your car will see track use do not buy a light weight undampened pulley. They may be fine for a full race motor that will see regular teardowns and inspections, but for the rest of us there is just too much stress on the crankshaft to take the chance of breaking the crankshaft. Remember these engines are generating a lot power for their size and that crankshaft need all the help it can get to stay in one piece. Besides if we arenít going as fast as we want itís probably not a lack of power under the hood as I suspect most of our cars are faster than we are even if we wonít admit it.
    Agreed. And I'll be the first to admit it.
    2006 HB/W MCS with the heart of a race car.

Name
    Mark
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Space Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Thanks and I agree too but would say that I think its even more important to have a properly designed damper on a race engine or one that is being tracked and needs their benefits because of the sustained high RPMS experienced. An unbalanced lightened crank pulley is not something I would want on any engine, track or not...... 2 cents

-Parnelli Jones

Name
    Stan
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Chili Red
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Quote Originally Posted by minimark View Post
    Both are good. I actually have the RMW fluid damper on the way for mine as we speak. :)

My OEM hasn't failed yet but thought I would go ahead and replace it with a better unit and try an circumvent another problem at the track.... ;)
    Ditto...Mine's on order.

Name
    Mark
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Space Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Mine is installed!!!

-Parnelli Jones

Name
    Stan
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Chili Red
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    That was quick! How'd the removal/install go and are you pleased with it?

Name
    Mark
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Space Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Went fine once I got all the tools and bolts to do it. Thanks to Ben too, I broke out my impact gun and things moved right along. I've not done much more than a test drive but it idles smoooooth and feels smoother through the gears too. :)

Also installed the loaner intercooler Jan sent me until my GP arrives. So hopefully I can get a chance tommorrow and put it through its paces.. ;)

-Parnelli Jones

Name
    Stan
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Chili Red
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    I've got just about everything but a long section of M12x1.75 for the install. Where did you find it around here? Re: the intercooler, I wonder if my wife would notice if I switched intercoolers with her GP? :)

Name
    Mark
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Space Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    If your talking about the piece that goes in where the stock crankshaft bolt was to press against, I just went to Ace and got a longer bolt. I was prepared to cut the head off but there was enough extra that the pulley had room to release before coming in contact with the bolt.. Also used that bolt and an old socket to press the new pulley back on with. Didn't want to take a chance on stretching the threads on the OEM bolt. Also boiled the new pulley for about 30 mins before installing to expand it a bit, had a much more peasant flavor too..... Wife was like..what the...are you doing....did boil it outside on the sideburner to the grill....lol

Wouldn't it be some sort of Mini sacrilege to install a normal S IC on a GP? ;)

-Parnelli Jones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information