Close

Club Sponsor

Please purchase from our sponsors whenever you can.

Flow MINI of Raleigh

Name
    Nan
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Kite Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI

CVT Transmission Failure - Replace with 5-speed manual???

Hello all,

I took Rascal ('07 cabrio with 71,750 miles) into Peak Auto Thursday after the engine started making a whining noise on Monday. The diagnosis --> CVT transmission failure....replacement cost $6K ($4k rebuilt CVT and $2K labor). I called Dan at Grassroots and he quoted the same price.

My question....how hard would it be (and is it even possible) to replace a CVT with a 5-speed manual transmission? Would it cheaper than $6K? I checked minimania.com and they have a GETRAG 5-speed rebuilt transmission for $2,200? I am going to call Dan on Monday, but I wanted to get opinions from some of you mechanically inclined MINI owners.

Thanks in advance,
    Nan

Ms.BHave - Driver of Bandit the '13 Bayswater S (previous driver of Rascal the '07 Cabrio and Jackson the '11 Clubbie)

Cruisin' the Twisties fleazilla's Avatar
    Name
    Lee
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Electric Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI

My Social Networking

Add fleazilla on Facebook
    My brother made his old Toyota carola into a manual with a dremil tool and some elbow grease..I really don't know how hard it would be but just getting the clutch peddle installed sounds like a pain in it self..
    I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible? I imagine you will need. Welder for this one preferably a really small guy or gal..lol..

The only thing that makes me question if it's possible is the fact that mini does some very different things in it's line up and the class of car and that it was british and now it's german. And the fact that mini doesn't like to share it's mechanical info with many people,it makes me think you are going to need someone autherized by mini to work on your mini to pull it off? But there are some good mechanics out there..

I would try and push mini to replace it myself if I where in your shoes and I hope they make good it just doesn't seem like your transmission should have gone up on you yet?

And I would recommend the get rag 6-speed! I can't imagine mine with out it...good luck
    02 R53 MCS Yes The wife is jealous!!

Name
    Jeffrey
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Clubman S
    Color
    Astro Black
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI

My Social Networking

Add colejd on Facebook
    Follow colejd on Flickr
    If yours is an 07 I don't believe it is a CVT. It should be an Aisin design. Still expensive to replace. Thats way to soon for a transmission failure.

08 Clubman S, Astro Black, Silver Roof, Black/Rooster, Auto, Xenons, Brembo Style JCW Big Brake Kit, Carbotech pads, Helix FMIC, Remus Street Race Exhaust, Sneed's Oil Cooler, Koni Yellow Struts, NM RS Alpha Springs, HSport Rear Lower Control Arms, 17x7" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2, H-Sport Sport Anti-Roll Bar, DDM Street CAI.

I brake for Hushpuppies wildcrazy442000's Avatar
    Name
    John
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Chili Red
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    It's a Cabrio so 2007 was the CVT. It is a shame BMW continued to put the CVT in MINI Coopers until the end of the first gen run.
    2009 CR/W MCS, TSW springs, 19mm RSB, JCW CAI, R108 wheels, and floor mats.

1st Gear
    Name
    Craig
    Member #

My MINI Information:
    Year
    Model
    Cooper S
    Color
    Laser Blue
    Photos
    Click here
    My MINI
    Check out this thread on northamericanmotoring.com, There is a active thread on this very topic. Someone successfully swapped out a CVT for a 6 speed. Sounds like mechanically it's relatively straightforward, but there can be some ECU issues.

Good luck!

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...trag-swap.html

Thread Information