PDA

View Full Version : 04/18/2014 - Dogs and Dash

jcauseyfd
March 23rd, 2014, 05:58 PM
Dogs and Dash
Friday, April 18, 2014
http://www.tarheelminis.org/2014_events/thmmc_dogs_and_dash.png

Spring is in the air and that means it is time to break out some warm weather activities. How about some hot dogs and baseball to go with some MINI motoring?

We'll start the day at noon in Rural Hall at King's Hotdogs for some lunch. After that, we'll shoot on up Hwy 66 (especially good if you are like me and will miss the Bullfrog Run or need a warmup for MOTD) then take some back roads until we get to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We'll head north a little ways on the BRP, before jumping off to head up Hwy 40 in Virginia before looping back through Fairy Stone Park. Garmin Basecamp says the route is just over 4 hours in length.

Our ending point will be BB&T Ballpark in Winston Salem where we'll take in a Winston Salem Dash game against the Salem Red Sox. Details are still being worked out as to whether we'll have a block of tickets for the group or everyone will be on their own to get tickets. I'll share more info as that develops. Plus, FIREWORKS!!!

Appropriately, I will once again be accepting donations to help support the dogs of Patriot Rovers, Inc.

Starting Point: King's Hotdogs, 1009 Bethania-Rural Hall Rd, Rural Hall, NC
Lunch: 12:00 pm
Driver’s Meeting: 1:00 pm
“Wheel’s Up”: 1:15 pm
Finish: BB&T Ballpark, 951 Ballpark Way, Winston-Salem, NC (game time is 7:00 pm)

Note that all times are tentative/approximate. Please bring your MINI and a 2-way radio capable of receiving channel 20/20. And some money for the ballgame, parking, food, souvenirs, etc.

If you want to just the drive or just the ballgame, that will be fine.

If you plan to attend, please post here in the thread so I can get a count and start the list. Please be sure to indicate whether you will attend the drive, the game, or both. The sooner you can respond the better so I can work out the details about a possible group outing with the Winston Salem Dash. Thanks!

Attending (count = 1)
jcauseyfd - both
tScott - drive
G3ntle - drive

Sorry - can't figure out why the map won't embed, but here is a link to it in Google MapsEngine:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/embed?mid=zpRqPb1Z9YVY.kx1CGAYqUn70

Versus
March 23rd, 2014, 06:25 PM
Sounds like a great time

tScott
March 23rd, 2014, 07:55 PM
put me down for the drive!!

G3ntle
March 26th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Drive

jcauseyfd
April 7th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Just a bump for this. Looks like we do not have enough interest for a group outing with the Dash, so I'll be ordering an individual ticket for myself. In case anyone wants to join me for the ballgame, maybe we can at least figure out how to sit together. Currently waiting to determine whether my girls will be with me.

G3ntle
April 7th, 2014, 11:46 PM
I have that day off, but my wife doesn't, and we live in the Triangle. So I can come out and play during the day but have to be back for dinner.

jcauseyfd
April 11th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Looks like a small group so far. Still time to get in on this!

Meanwhile, I have ordered my ticket for the ballgame! It would be nice to have Google Glass by then, but the fundraising has slowed down a bit, so I may have to wait for my Indiegogo project to close before I pick them up.

tScott
April 13th, 2014, 10:16 PM
This will be a great way to spend Good Friday!!

jcauseyfd
April 14th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Fortunately, our route will not be on Interstates or major 4-lane roads and a bunch of it is up in Virginia. Still, I guess we'll have to be mindful of an increased LEO presence this Friday:

NC Highway Patrol launches 'Operation Slow Down' (http://www.wxii12.com/news/nc-highway-patrol-launches-operation-slow-down/25458314)

hoonu
April 14th, 2014, 04:57 PM
It this morning was any indication, be really careful. Very heavy LEO presence on I-85.

jcauseyfd
April 21st, 2014, 01:42 PM
A little video recap of the run:

http://youtu.be/VP805OX3TqA

SilverJack
April 21st, 2014, 10:14 PM
Looks like super fun!!

tScott
April 21st, 2014, 10:37 PM
Great job on the video!! Thanks again for another fun run!!