PDA

View Full Version : Want to setup an event? Check this out!

jcauseyfd
July 11th, 2014, 11:25 AM
At one time we had some posts about setting up events along with some of the technical details on posting them here on the forum. Alas, it appears they have faded into history as I have not been able to find them and if I can't find them, I know a lot of our newer members would have trouble finding them. So I just wanted to create a new thread to help our members not only understand the event creation process, but to also give some tips to help them get the word out.

When it comes to creating events - whether it is a get together for dinner or a run/rally or attending a C&C as a group or whatever you think sounds like a fun thing to do with your MINI and your MINI friends at THMMC - all you need to do is announce it. We take a "if you build it, they will come approach" to events. Throw it out there and see who shows up.

Sure, we have some large events like the BRP Tour or MINIpalooza or MSSD that have a group of people working on them because they have grown so large that it takes several people working together to make it happen. But we also have lots of smaller events taking place all over the state (and even out of state on occasion). I did an event back in April where there were only three attendees (including myself) - and we still had a fun day of motoring.

As a bit of etiquette and friendliness, it would be nice if you were to check the forums for other events that might conflict with your idea. For example, if you want to do a weekly dinner in some area, check to see if there is already one going on and consider attending that instead of setting up something new. But you are not required to do that - if you really want to go somewhere else or follow a different schedule or whatever, set it up, make the announcement and go.

If you have read this far and you feel inclined to set something up, here are a few tips to help you announce it and get the word out.

First, when starting a new thread in one of the events subforums, please use a title in the following format:

MM/DD/YYYY - My Awesome MINI event title

for example, I did the following for a recent event: 07/26/2014 - Summer Heat Rally

If you want to set up something that will be recurring, you can use something like "WEEKLY" or "MONTHLY" or "ONGOING" in the title. I do recommend trying to come up with something "catchy" for the title and try to keep it short as there is a limited number of characters available for thread titles. Plus, using the title as a teaser will help get people to click through to read the details.

If it is your first time setting something up, you may want to read through the announcements for past events to get a feel for what information needs to be included. Typically for runs and rallys, I find people want to know the where and when to be for the start, at least a general idea of where they'll be going or what they'll be doing, and how long they should plan for the event to take.

We do maintain an Event Suggestions (http://www.tarheelminis.org/forumdisplay.php?4-Event-Suggestions) subforum. If you are not sure what kind of interest there may be or want to solicit some help, post over there to see what kind of response you get.

I do try to catch events and get them added to the calendar if I see them posted. That way they will also show up in the "Upcoming Widgets" block on the home page. If you want something added to the calendar and I don't appear to have caught it, just drop me a PM or post something in the thread asking someone to add a calendar entry.

Finally, if you want the event cross-posted over to the Facebook page for THMMC, just PM me or someone like Ross (aka WINGS) or ask in your event posting and we will help get that done.

It may seem at times like only certain people can post events, but that is not the case. We just happen to have some experience and in most cases have gotten past that "what if I post something 'wrong' or no one comes" concern. If you are worried, please feel free to reach out to any of the club's officers or other members that you see have posted events (e.g. myself, Jak, Cole, etc.). I know any of us would be more than happy to help out.

Good luck and motor on!!!