PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Challenge - Dec 13, 2009

TWISTER
November 12th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Last year this time I was trying to think of a way we could give back to people in need and we had a fundraiser to get donations for the 2nd Harvest Food Bank.

The great thing about giving them money over can goods is each $1 lets them purchase $12 of food.

How can we as a club raise funds to make a difference here in NC? Have a drive and donate .25 cents per mile? Have the club match funds up to $200?

Let's try and make a difference this holiday season with a challenge to all club members! Lets try and raise $1000 for the 2nd Harvest Food Bank. Lets get donations from wherever we can, not just our pockets.

Lets hear your ideas and thoughts to get to that magic number by December 13th!

MidnightDave
November 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM
What about a show and shine day and everybody contributes $ to participate? Maybe we can get a local car wash up there to host it?

minimark
November 12th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Sounds like a great idea and the goal should be very attainable!!! Drive sounds good, let's put our thinking caps on and just DO IT!:victory:

minimark
November 12th, 2008, 06:03 PM
What about a show and shine day and everybody contributes $ to participate? Maybe we can get a local car wash up there to host it?

We could use my parking lot and maybe even shave someone's head too...

N2MINI
November 12th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Maybe someone has some spare parts or vinyl stuff laying around to auction off!!
Could do a drive, dinner, auction/raffle type thing..

X5JR
November 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM
If you decide to go with the Auction, I will donate my Original Set of four Run-Flat Tires that were on my car when I got it. They have less than 500 miles on them.

BThayer23
November 12th, 2008, 06:36 PM
What about a hypermiling competition? Have a 10 mile loop, and have people pledge 25 cents per MPG? We'd be burnishing our green cred as well as donating to charity. Anybody can drive fast or far, but who can drive the most efficiently? Plus that'd give some incentive for the justacoopers to show up.

I like the show and shine idea, too.

MINIFIED
November 12th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Well I've still got 3 six-packs of "assorted" beer from the Dragon beer swap that has "charity* designation" written all over them ..

That's not all they have written all over them!! The six-pack cases have been autographed by THMMC club members -- including by our founder and by our current president!! -- surely to be a collector's item someday!! :girl_wink:

(think Christmas gift for your favorite THMMC club member)

Raffle at the event? Or forum auction so that those who will not be attending can still participate?

Also a case (pints) of Weeping Radish Pumpkin Bock (retail $45) could offer up, too ..

* would be my preference to split the beer proceeds between the Food Bank and the HOPE Mina project which was my originally designated charity .. especially given that 1/2 the funds from the Mina project this year were earmarked to build a hospital in Haiti, which with schools collapsing this past week is so apparently needed

X5JR
November 12th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I like the HyperMiling idea, Show & Shine and of course, the auction. Perhaps all could be done.

Nascar Mini
November 12th, 2008, 08:11 PM
If we go with the auction,i can get some race sheetmetal (nice and wrecked) or possibly some autographed ''hero cards'' from ''some' of our drivers at work,might be worth a few bucks.
Bill
PS: Just looked at calender, I will out of town that day,but could try to get the items to another member beforehand,possibly Midnight Dave if he's planning on attending,he's pretty close to me.

MidnightDave
November 12th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I can courier anything you want, Bill. Some great ideas here, guys, keep them coming!

Vango
November 13th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Karaoke $1 per song could do car wash thing and drive and end with a karaoke party.

minimark
November 13th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Hey Van, I could sing the first song and then everyone would probably pay a buck a song to keep me from singing after that ....:laugh:

Vango
November 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM
That s what makes Karaoke so fun there are very few good singers out there including me now mike on the other hand is a professional......

Eepers
November 13th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Ah man, I typed a reply to this yesterday and crashed shortly before sending, haha, then, couldn't remember if I had already sent it or not.

I was going to suggest having a group in the triad and a group in the triangle meet in a well trafficked parking lot, with a banner saying we're matching donations for the food bank. Lining up near the entrance to the parking lot for loads of visibility, etc... BUT, I'm not sure what might be involved in that as far as getting permission, and knowing how trusting people are (or aren't).

MINI Rog
November 13th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Burlington would be the midpoint. Maybe at Alamance Crossing where we ate one time. Good visibility there.

Eepers
November 14th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Sorry, to clarify, I mean, have one group doing this in the Triad, and another group at a location in the Triangle.

minibugs
November 14th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Just let us know and we will :help: :yes4:...........And away we GO...........:meeting:

carbucks
November 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
:yes2:I'm in . . . I like the show and shine . . . with a 50% raffle ?. . . silent auction ? . . . great ideas! Sounds like fun! C-

Ivegotzoomies!
November 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM
My husband and I just cleaned out our storage room! What a lot of stuff!!
We are going to make flyers and put all over- the stuff will be free but we will encourage people to make a donation to 2nd harvest. What do we have to lose??

Ivegotzoomies!
November 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM
What is the link to their website? It looks as if they might have change names, or maybe I just have the wrong one.
Thanks!!
Pam

Ivegotzoomies!
November 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Here is it- the link to our webpage for our yard "sale" for charity this weekend. Please send it to everyone you know!
Thanks!
Pam
http://pam.hughes1.googlepages.com/freestuff%21%21%21

MINIFIED
November 16th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Here is it- the link to our webpage for our yard "sale" for charity this weekend. Please send it to everyone you know!
Thanks!
Pam
http://pam.hughes1.googlepages.com/freestuff%21%21%21

Hi Pam ..

I'll try and make it by .. now that I know you are about 2 miles from my house :-)
(Lynn Rd&Leadmine) .. and I'll bet once I meet you I'll realize we've probably waved before since we have twin-cars and live so close (of course I say that and Jak and Dusdee live 1.7 miles from me and I *never* see them in Raleigh, only at the club events!)

That's a good idea, too .. if I wasn't going to be out of town most of this week I'd see if I could find some things around here and 'consolidate' the goodies and the proceeds, but I'll likely be out of time ..

See ya!
PS Actually I think I met Chris at the event/anniversary lunch in Burlington now that I think about it ..

Ivegotzoomies!
November 17th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Hi Susan!
I think we have waved for sure! Do drop by the house if you can even for just a minute!! I love knowing the MINI owners in the neighborhood!

X5JR
November 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Double Post; regarding Ripped Off by Panhandlers

$200-300 per day per person, perhaps THMMC should go enmasse to major intersections near the malls in Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Raleigh, Asheville, Durham, and Wilmington to "BEG" for food bank charity. Twister, that might make your $1000 goal in multiple locations.

Ivegotzoomies!
November 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Hi all!
Our yard "sale" was a success this morning! We cleared our garage out and raised $120.00 !!!!!
Thanks!!

TWISTER
November 28th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Well it looks dim...
Lets do this. Let's have another Bowling event where you can have a great time with friends and raise funds for 2nd Harvest.

Dec 14th at Creekside Lanes in Winston across the street from Flow MINI.
Time 1pm - till
Every point made will get .05 donated to 2nd Harvest, so the more people the better for 2nd Harvest (http://www.tarheelminis.org/showthread.php?t=1798)

X5JR
November 28th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Sounds like a plan! xxx///xxx/x

MidnightDave
November 28th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Dang, I'll be hiking Lemon Gap with the Boy Scouts 000/030/002

Eepers
November 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Sounds like a plan Mark!

I could call an alley at the end of this weekend (giving time for responses) in the triangle here and set up an event for the Raleigh area locals like we did last year.

Triangle area people, if you'd like to attend, would you mind making this Saturday afternoon instead of Sunday (Dec 13th instead of Dec 14th)?

MINIFIED
November 29th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Hey Lee

I have to admit, I've been a little confused about the plans .. at first I thought Mark's suggestion was to do bowling in lieu of the charity auction/carwash/hypermiling/karaoke ideas and leave it on the 13th.

Then he clarified that the bowling fundraiser idea is in addition to, that's why it's on the 14th.

We don't seem to be getting much response from the Raleigh based folks (have had the same result recently with the TTT's but seems like historically the dinners are suspended through the holidays until April) .. sooo .. the only "problem" I see with bowling in Raleigh on the 13th instead of the 14th is if it conflicts with the other charity plans .. I'm open to either -- heck a whole weekend full o' MINI stuff is fine with me -- but if it's looking like a weak Raleigh based turn out I'd be as inclined to head to W/S and participate with that group for one or both of their plans .. maybe we should get a sense of which idea works better for most people?

Don't know, just throwing out ideas and talking out loud .. :ms_ponder:

Eepers
November 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Yep, if there's not a significant interest in the area here for the bowling thing, I definitely wouldn't want to
splinter it up for no reason.. like you said, better to gather in one place if possible.

Eepers
December 1st, 2008, 08:34 AM
Doesn't appear to be a mob waiting for a local bowling event in Raleigh, so,
yeah, won't bother with that then.

N2MINI
December 1st, 2008, 08:38 AM
I'll be at the BMW Performance Center all day. Ya'll have fun..

TWISTER
December 1st, 2008, 09:10 AM
You go and have fun! There is nothing scheduled this day. The 14th is bowling

MINIFIED
December 1st, 2008, 11:55 PM
I think Lee had proposed the Raleigh group do bowling on the 13th instead of the 14th ..

Re: response -- I thought perhaps the limited response to the idea was due to folks being out of town for the holidays -- perhaps give this idea a couple more days for a response? Is there a way to email the Raleigh folks since some may have missed the posting over the holidays? (I hate to give up on the idea thinking there is a lack of interest if perhaps it's more likely the idea has been "missed" .. )

I'm still planning to go where-ever the people are .. no fun bowling alone :girl_wink: