PDA

View Full Version : the dragon location???

safarilad
November 23rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
i keep hearing about the dragon, i hear it is a great drive. although i am having a hell of a time acquiring its location? can someone help me out, please and thanks

minimark
November 23rd, 2010, 01:26 AM
Deal's Gap. Tail of the Dragon is on Hwy 129, runs from NC into TN above Cherokee.

Google Tail of the Dragon and you will find sites devoted to it with maps and history. Mini's on the Dragon is based out of Fontana Village, very near Fontana Dam. Fun time!!

schatzy62
November 23rd, 2010, 02:44 PM
Here is one of the sites dedicated to it.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

And all about Deals Gap is here

http://www.dealsgap.com/

And IMHO Hellbender 28 is an even better road to drive. And it is right next to the Dragon

http://www.hellbender28.com/

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/SouthEast/NC/NC_9.shtml

And here is a site for the Dragon, Helbender 28 and the Cherohala Skyway (has some spectacular views.

and Finally the MINI's On The Dragon website.

http://www.minisonthedragon.com/

Jbewley
November 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
This brings back memories. I had owned my MINI for about a week, when I saw people posting about "The Dragon", but could not figure out what they were talking about or where it was. Clearly I know now. :lol:

Jim

phinz
November 23rd, 2010, 06:12 PM
Ugh. I hate the Dragon name, but absolutely despise the Hellbender name It's a giant salamander. How scary is that really? "I'm gonna go drive the mudpuppy!" Blech.

TWISTER
November 23rd, 2010, 06:19 PM
You have never driven with me on hellbender! I smoke that puppy!

minimark
November 23rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
You have never driven with me on hellbender! I smoke that puppy!

SPANK....You spank that puppy....lol

minimark
November 23rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
Ugh. I hate the Dragon name, but absolutely despise the Hellbender name It's a giant salamander. How scary is that really? "I'm gonna go drive the mudpuppy!" Blech.

Then you'll truly hate "The Snake"!

Jbewley
November 23rd, 2010, 06:52 PM

Hummmmm, you hate TSA, the Dragon and Hellbender. Is anything you do like? :no:

Jim

phinz
November 23rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
I don't hate "The Dragon" or "The Hellbender." I hate the names. The "Hellbender" is an artificial contrivance to attract tourists, just as the "Dragon" is. The "Hellbender" has been called 28 as long as I've been going up there, and that's 20 years. The "Dragon" is called The Hill, The Gap or 129 by the locals. There is no Tail of the Dragon, except for a website. I love the roads, just as I love Wayah Road and many others in the area.

The names are just all so contrived.

And I like my wife, my dogs, my car and my tiki bar. Everything else is up for debate. ;)

safarilad
November 23rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
thanks for the info guys, i have made plans with my father in my mini cooper s "the admiral" and his porsche cayman s. to tackle these roads for a bit of fun. yall r free to join if anyone wants. we r planning on going in january.

phinz
November 23rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
January can be a hit-or-miss time. It can be nasty up there with salt all over the road, or it can be the best time to be there. I've had experiences in both directions.

safarilad
November 23rd, 2010, 08:41 PM
thats what i have heard. its not to terribly far from where i live. so either way i can try again if the weather does not work out....it is, however; a bit of a drive for my father so one hopes it works out.

safarilad
November 23rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
i am not going to go until my exhaust and cai come in, and installed. also, my gear box is acting up so i def want to get that sorted as well.

jcauseyfd
November 23rd, 2010, 10:40 PM

hehe, you may not want to make the drive over for the Bullfrog Run then. :-D ribbit ribbit

minimark
November 23rd, 2010, 11:14 PM
hehe, you may not want to make the drive over for the bullfrog run then. :-d ribbit ribbit

raflmao

Rhiannon
November 24th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Lol... Keep going until you hear banjo's :lol:

If you go, be warned that Blount County Sheriff's will be waiting on the other end to catch anyone going more than a mile or 2 over the speed limit. I know firsthand lol....

But I hear getting a warning ticket on the Dragon is a "right of passage." :happy-smiley:

I need to go back to get another sticker since I botched the last one when I was trying to put it on the back glass :-/

minimark
November 24th, 2010, 08:22 AM
No the banjo music was on the "Ned Baitty Classsic Run"....lol

SOOOEEEEEE!

Jbewley
November 24th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I don't hate "The Dragon" or "The Hellbender." I hate the names. The "Hellbender" is an artificial contrivance to attract tourists, just as the "Dragon" is. The "Hellbender" has been called 28 as long as I've been going up there, and that's 20 years. The "Dragon" is called The Hill, The Gap or 129 by the locals. There is no Tail of the Dragon, except for a website. I love the roads, just as I love Wayah Road and many others in the area.

The names are just all so contrived.

And I like my wife, my dogs, my car and my tiki bar. Everything else is up for debate. ;)

:ms_thumbsup:

Jim

Rhiannon
November 24th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Oh, I know... lol but the dragon is Soooooooo far out in the boonies that you would probably hear banjo's if you listen hard enough....

Where is this Ned Baitty Classic run at anyways? Anyone up for testing the waters? :-p (just kidding)

jcauseyfd
November 24th, 2010, 11:26 AM
The Ned Beatty Deliverance Run. Sounds like the start of a plan to me!

TWISTER
November 24th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Sounds like Rifle Range Road near Sparta!

minimark
November 24th, 2010, 01:12 PM
We actually ran that road again a couple weeks ago on the way to the Snake.... :)

Paleo
November 24th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Mandy and I are sitting in front of the fireplace at Fontana Lodge right now! We made three runs on the Dragon today. Traffic was very light and not a cop anywhere to be found. We had a blast! :no::yeah: After a trip up Hellbender, down towards Robinsville and back I tried to convince her to go out and do a night time run after supper, but she said she had enough twisty roads for one day!

wildcrazy442000
November 24th, 2010, 10:02 PM
You might like our Floyd Va. run. We just love Floyd the people there are so friendly.

minimark
November 24th, 2010, 10:56 PM
...oh yes a warm and welcoming bunch indeed.