PDA

View Full Version : Start a regular SW VA meet and greet

hyper_blue
March 24th, 2012, 11:51 AM
So, I know that we have at least a handful of people in SW VA. And I know that at one time there was enough interest to start up the Star City Minis site.
What if we start a regular meet and greet, weekly is likely too often for a small group, bi-weekly?, monthly?, bi-monthly?. Sort of like the Triad First Fridays meet and greet.
Now I'm obviously a little partial, living in Christiansburg, but there are several great restaurants that are all easy to get to here. There is a great local drive in style place right off 81 (Dudes Drive-In), it would be cool to see a pile of minis in front of that place. There is also a fantastic Mexican restaurant (Alejandros) right off the 460 byp**** and there is plenty of parking and plenty of seating at this one (and really good margaritas).
I know there are plenty of good restaurants in the Roanoke area as well, but I wouldn't necessarily want to make suggestions for that area.
Depending on where people are, would probably be best to centralize, and keep drive times under an hour.

So how about it folks... is there enough interest in SW VA to justify something like this?

mini cooper mini
April 8th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I do not know How or WHY, but our group fell off the face of the earth and no one came looking for us?

ohbuga
April 9th, 2012, 11:02 AM
There has been a number of attempts to get the SW VA group active, but it never seems to go anywhere. Seems like most people here want events and meets on there own door step and are not willing to travel. (just my opinion for what it's worth).

mini cooper mini
April 9th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I always had fun traveling. Heck, i get 40 mpg, what the heck did i care?

ohbuga
April 9th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I always had fun traveling. Heck, i get 40 mpg, what the heck did i care?
I'm with you, I have traveled all over to events and had a huge amount of fun.

mini cooper mini
April 9th, 2012, 01:56 PM
We had a hard core group of adults, but for some reason, POOF - it was gone? I also think that our BIG and LAST drive together turned out POORLY. The MINI group from Winston joined US in Floyd Va and it went badly. State Troopers, slow meal in town, threats, etc. Seemed to go downhill fast after that...

mini cooper mini
April 9th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Waiting for Sean - Hyper blue to chime in?

jcauseyfd
April 9th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Hehe - we just try to avoid Floyd, not all of SW VA! fwiw, I have (what I think is) a nice event planned for the SW VA area, just need to get it scheduled. I'm leaning toward July or August. I'm also hopeful to resurrect something like the Mabry Mill Runs that have been held in the past. And I think there has been some talk about a Up to Big Walker type run as well. You could also plan an event in conjunction with BOTD Day.

That said, doesn't really address the question of regular get togethers for the area. While nice to consider as many folks' schedules as possible, at some point you probably just need to set a day/time and whoever makes it, makes it.

Would be great to see some increased activity in the area!

colejd
April 9th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Hehe - we just try to avoid Floyd, not all of SW VA! fwiw, I have (what I think is) a nice event planned for the SW VA area, just need to get it scheduled. I'm leaning toward July or August. I'm also hopeful to resurrect something like the Mabry Mill Runs that have been held in the past. And I think there has been some talk about a Up to Big Walker type run as well. You could also plan an event in conjunction with BOTD Day.

That said, doesn't really address the question of regular get togethers for the area. While nice to consider as many folks' schedules as possible, at some point you probably just need to set a day/time and whoever makes it, makes it.

Would be great to see some increased activity in the area!

Todd Godfrey and I did a Big Walker/BOTD trip last November. Nice twisties!

mini cooper mini
April 9th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Sounds GREAT, i am in.

hyper_blue
April 10th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I suppose that over the past week I've been thinking that it would probably be best to just post a time and schedule for a recurring meet-up.

I see that the triad area event is during the week... And I can see that as a good choice, allows folks to still have their weekends free. But on the other hand I wonder how many people would skip it, thinking that a 45 minute drive (one-way) gets them home too late on a weeknight. And I'd like to make it accessible to as many people as possible.

I guess I'll ponder on it some more, and try to put up an announcement for something in May... but I'll have to avoid MOTD (which I'd love to go to, we'll see how that works out). In the mean time, anyone with any preferences that they would like considered please chime.

MINIFIED
April 10th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Not sure if you saw this post .. it's at least in the same state! if you needed a drive this weekend ..

http://www.tarheelminis.org/showthread.php?7843-Shenandoah-Mountain-Run-April-14th-(new-Richmond-MINIs-club-event)&p=74045&viewfull=1#post74045

With regards to monthly dinner meet and greets, we had a hard time getting more than a handful of people at any given dinner until there was a dealership in Raleigh .. now we still have 12-15 people pretty consistently, but new faces each month, too. As much as there is one argument for a twice a month get together so that if someone can't make one it's not a whole month before the next one, the Triangle group has stuck with just once a month. We meet on Thursday nights (same Thursday each month) but there have been times over the years when the sense was that we would have better attendance if it was a Friday night so that folks didn't have work/school the next day .. just food for thought ..

mini cooper mini
April 10th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Susan is slightly crazy, so be careful with any advice she gives to you. Weekday evenings have always worked best for all, weekends will exclude MANY, me included for meet-ups. Just my 2 cents

hyper_blue
August 3rd, 2012, 05:33 AM
Just wanted to cross post this... See this new thread (http://www.tarheelminis.org/showthread.php?8329-SWVA-Meet-and-Greet). It kind of felt like new thread was warranted, to separate between "can/should we start a meet and greet" and "the meet and greet is on day X". But then I thought, I bet people are getting email reminders in this thread, and haven't seen the new one yet...

If folks that plan to attend the first couple of these could reply in that other thread, I can get a feeling for what kind of seating to arrange.

WildStyl3
August 22nd, 2013, 05:11 AM
Hey everyone, I have been back and forth through many of sites wanting to start something around my Christiansburg, VA area. Before I used to do some traveling to VA, Beach every now and then to meet up with HR Mini, which I also met up with family as well. Due to the fact that my family has moved I want to try and start something in this area. I know that everyone is not in the immediate area but fairly close. I have a facebook page started for now "facebook.com/groups/StarCityMini/", also currently working on a webpage as well for those who don't have or utilize facebook. Also I have a friend that works at Staples to help with laminated cards to hand out to advertise for the group. I definitely don't like it when non-laminated cards are placed on my car, then rain and get soggy wet on my car. So I am getting them laminated to respect other peoples vehicles. I really want to kick start this, I am starting to see more and more minis in the area and think that it is time to get this rocket off the ground. I am available Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays all day. Sundays through Wednesdays I work a 10 hour shift but reachable at anytime. My facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AAlleyne838 Instagram if anyone uses: Bull3t838. Just trying to bring gatherings and meets a little closer to home, driving an hour or so isn't bad. For those quick meets that people are available for. If anyone has any questions or concerns feel free to message me at any point and time. Thank you Miniac Family.