PDA

View Full Version : 7/28/12 - 2nd Annual Search for Sasquatch and Big Walker Run

colejd
June 26th, 2012, 03:32 PM
It's time to continue our search for the elusive big guy (who always seems to be blurred in any photo). :shout: This year's Search for Sasquatch Run will be held in the Marion/Tazewell/Wytheville, VA area, West of Roanoke. The date for this event is Saturday the 28th of July. This area is where VA-16 is located also known as The Back of the Dragon. There are some sweet twisty roads in this area. :dance: This run will be led by 2 co-leaders, Todd Godfrey (mrbeebe) and myself, Jeff (JD) Cole (i.e., colejd) your THMMC Treasurer.

We will start from the Smyth Valley Shopping Center parking lot (outside Walmart, 1193 N. Main Street, Marion, VA). The driver's meeting will be at 9:30 with wheels up at 10:00. Lunch will be held at one of the club's favorite restaurants, Macado's (142 E. Main St., Marion, VA; http://www.macados.net/), after lunch we will continue on to the BW Country Store and Observation Tower at Big Walker (http://www.scenicbeauty-va.com/). We will then head towards I-77 where, we'll call it a day.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=1193+West+Main+Street,+Marion,+VA&daddr=VA-16+N%2FB+F+Buchanan+Hwy+to:36.9577544,-81.6487391+to:VA-91+N%2FVeterans+Rd+to:36.95662,-81.52597+to:36.8450112,-81.5026505+to:S+Iron+St+to:36.993942,-81.382141+to:VA-42+E%2FW+Blue+Grass+Trail+to:Big+Walker+Lookout,+8711+Stoney+Fork+Road,+ National+Scenic+Byway,+Wytheville,+VA+to:State+Route+717&hl=en&ll=36.982261,-81.291962&spn=0.449776,0.878906&sll=36.83374,-81.518834&sspn=0.003521,0.006866&geocode=Fdk0MgIdDmkk-ynxad85x9JRiDFws4rAhbdiqg%3BFUjHNQIdNKoj-w%3BFTruMwIdnSMi-ynrSYPQ_yhQiDGIi4zHV8Bt3w%3BFWtANAIdAAci-w%3BFczpMwIdLgMk-ykt7iCt0CpQiDFgz8jEVi0iww%3BFdM1MgIdRl4k-ykjwNfEx9JRiDFFoh_MJ6mw3Q%3BFWMFMgIdTiEk-w%3BFZZ7NAIdAzUm-yl3KI4lLShOiDF1YVakD86THQ%3BFeCXNQId6D4p-w%3BFRlGNQIddo4o-yEoBfQ1fpQmLw%3BFWoONQIdPi4q-w&oq=1193+N.+Main+Street,+Marion,+VA&t=m&mra=dme&mrsp=6&sz=18&via=2,4,5,7&z=11

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=1193+West+Main+Street,+Marion,+VA&daddr=VA-16+N%2FB+F+Buchanan+Hwy+to:36.9577544,-81.6487391+to:VA-91+N%2FVeterans+Rd+to:36.95662,-81.52597+to:36.8450109,-81.5026502+to:S+Iron+St+to:36.993942,-81.382141+to:VA-42+E%2FW+Blue+Grass+Trail+to:Big+Walker+Lookout,+8711+Stoney+Fork+Road,+ National+Scenic+Byway,+Wytheville,+VA+to:State+Route+717&hl=en&ll=36.982809,-81.291962&spn=0.548503,0.991516&sll=36.83374,-81.518834&sspn=0.003521,0.006866&geocode=Fdk0MgIdDmkk-ynxad85x9JRiDFws4rAhbdiqg%3BFUjHNQIdNKoj-w%3BFTruMwIdnSMi-ynrSYPQ_yhQiDGIi4zHV8Bt3w%3BFWtANAIdAAci-w%3BFczpMwIdLgMk-ykt7iCt0CpQiDFgz8jEVi0iww%3BFdI1MgIdRl4k-ykjwNfEx9JRiDFFoh_MJ6mw3Q%3BFWMFMgIdTiEk-w%3BFZZ7NAIdAzUm-yl3KI4lLShOiDF1YVakD86THQ%3BFeCXNQId6D4p-w%3BFRlGNQIddo4o-yEoBfQ1fpQmLymLO9pAaCFOiDEoBfQ1fpQmLw%3BFWoONQIdPi4q-w&oq=1193+N.+Main+Street,+Marion,+VA&t=m&mra=dme&mrsp=6&sz=18&via=2,4,5,7&z=10
For those traveling from longer distances there are several inexpensive motels, here is an example (note we are not negotiating a group rate; you are on your own):

Econo Lodge Marion, 1424 N Main St, Marion, VA, 1-866-599-6674

Hope you can attend. Please respond to this thread so that we can get a lunch count of people.

UPDATE: gpx file (http://www.totehmoon.com/uploads/thmmc_big_walker_2_run.gpx) of the route now available for download (remember to right click and save) [J Causey]

Attending:
colejd
Siospins
mrbeebe
tScott
WINGS
mtnmini
Dirt
BoostczaR53
hyper_blue
Firedancer73
Woodsmonkey
Swimbaxter

Maybe Attending:

MINIFIED
June 26th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Will be out of town at a MINI wedding in WI .. enjoy. And BE SURE and post to the HR MINIs forum, they were trying to co-ordinate a run to this area (if you haven't already .. )

colejd
June 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Will be out of town at a MINI wedding in WI .. enjoy. And BE SURE and post to the HR MINIs forum, they were trying to co-ordinate a run to this area (if you haven't already .. )

I will add this event with HR Mini's website. Thanks.

slimjimtell
June 26th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I'm SOOOO bummed, I will be in Las Vegas for 10 days! Sucks, everyone comes my way and I have to travel that week.

EL STINKO!!!!!!

Siospins
June 26th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Heather & Ben will be there in Moira!

colejd
July 8th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Let's get a head count of those who are attending the Sasquatch/Big Walker run on Saterday the 28th.

mrbeebe
July 8th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Todd will be there!!

tScott
July 8th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I will be there!

WINGS
July 8th, 2012, 08:28 PM
After MTTS this week I am for sure going to need another FIX by then. I'm in! :victory:

slimjimtell
July 8th, 2012, 09:39 PM
This is ME crying again :frown: bummed I'm gonna miss it.

mtnmini
July 9th, 2012, 05:31 AM
I'm in!

wildcrazy442000
July 9th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Possible Wildcrazy & Girliebird.

Dirt
July 12th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I should be there. I'm going to add a list of attendees to the first post. Jeff, if you see this, please help keep this list updated.

TKT2RIDE
July 13th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I will be in Thailand.. :(

Siospins
July 13th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Jim, do you want us to bring along a Slim Jim or two in your honor, since you can't make it? Might not be as good 'Squatch bait as Jack Links beef jerky, but that way you'll be there in spirit! :lol:

BoostczaR53
July 15th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I hope to be there, is this going to be an overnight event? Or just a drive thru

colejd
July 16th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I hope to be there, is this going to be an overnight event? Or just a drive thru

It is a one day event (Saturday the 28th), however, for those who live greater distances from Marion we have posted the info on an inexpensive motel for Friday night. Depending on when the members reach the motel we might get together for dinner on Friday.

colejd
July 19th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Any more members planning on attending this run?

mtnmini
July 21st, 2012, 08:34 AM
Is this run still on? What with the weather forcast and so few signed up just wondering if it might be cancelled.

colejd
July 21st, 2012, 11:06 AM
Is this run still on? What with the weather forcast and so few signed up just wondering if it might be cancelled.

Currently, the Saturday weather is listed as such http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail7/USVA0466. While weather changes by the minute a 40% chance of scattered T'Storms won't stop a MINI run. Trees covering the route after a hurricane or tornado, maybe? :sarcastic:Otherwise, we are there!

hyper_blue
July 21st, 2012, 04:12 PM
I will be there... looking forward to meeting folks.

slimjimtell
July 21st, 2012, 07:51 PM
This is one of the BEST MINI rides you will go on. Great roads!! Some of the best in NC!

I am so bummed i will be out of town.

colejd
July 21st, 2012, 10:26 PM
This is one of the BEST MINI rides you will go on. Great roads!! Some of the best in NC!

I am so bummed i will be out of town.

Jim,

Sorry you can't make it. However, for everyone's info, this run is entirely in Virginia. Last year's Sasquatch run started in the Marion, NC area. This year we're in Marion, VA.

Firedancer73
July 22nd, 2012, 10:19 PM
I will be there with another new member, Dan "Woodsmonkey". We cannot wait to participate in our 1st THMMC event!!! Yeah!!!

Dirt
July 23rd, 2012, 05:15 PM
Let's get a caravan in the triad area started. We can meet at Don Juan's (the usual Triad Tuesday meeting place) at 7:15 Saturday morning. Let me know if you're in so I know to look for you. The address is below:

Don Juan's
201 Century Boulevard
Kernersville, NC 27284

Also, as a little post-run fun, I'm going tunnel blasting. There is a 0.8 mile long tunnel just north of the finish line on I-77. I plan on terrorizing it with engine noise.

WINGS
July 23rd, 2012, 05:41 PM
Yeah baby, sounds like a plan! Count me in on the tunnel blasting! :D:D:D:D:cool::rolleyes::eek:;)

Swimbaxter
July 23rd, 2012, 10:08 PM
Jeff,

My wife, Maggie, and I will be joining the ride.

Thanks,
Patrick
aka swimbaxter

saunookeharold
July 24th, 2012, 05:27 PM
:angry::nono:Sasquatch run in name only, not the same rout we have ben driveing the last couple of years! i will not be able to make this one.

colejd
July 24th, 2012, 05:56 PM
:angry::nono:Sasquatch run in name only, not the same rout we have ben driveing the last couple of years! i will not be able to make this one.

Note, I have found a article that states that Big Foot was signed outside Marion, VA in 1979, so, the search continues.

Siospins
July 24th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Is this a BYOBJ (Bring your own Beef Jerky) event, or do the slightly-less southern 'squatches in VA prefer different bait than our NC ones? :jester:

colejd
July 24th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I have the vinyl stickers ready for all attendees.

We'll have to pick up some beef jerky at the run's start. It looks like the weather is cooperating. Partly sunny with a high of 83 (only 20% chance of rain). :ms_thumbsup:

Dirt
July 24th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Partly sunny with a high of 83 (only 20% chance of rain). :ms_thumbsup:

Partly sunny with a high of 83

a high of 83

​Epic.

wildcrazy442000
July 25th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Working Saturday, have fun.

tScott
July 26th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Anyone driving to Marion on Friday?

colejd
July 26th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Anyone driving to Marion on Friday?

Todd and I will be heading up on Friday evening. We will be leaving around 6:30PM so it will be around 8 till we are heading through WS. We are taking the direct route up 52 towards 77. We could call you around 7:30 and give you our location.

tScott
July 26th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks Jeff! I plan to leave Winston-Salem a little earlier. I am taking a Scenic route up!. Winston-Salem to Sparta to Marion. You guy's drive safe!!

jcauseyfd
July 26th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I think this will be late enough to not impact anyone (starts at 9 pm Friday night), but just in case, please be aware of the following:

Winston-Salem Hwy 52 Lane Closure (https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=6840)

WINGS
July 26th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Hey DIRT and MINIGANG In Tow.... Coming from Clemmons I am going to catch up to you guys around University Parkway and 52 and jump in there. Figuring if you leave at 7:30 that will put you there around 7:45-7:50 so We will see you there.....Don't want you to be the only BRG in the lineup, I mean somebody has to wave the checkered flag right?:lol:

Dirt
July 26th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Okay. I may leave a few minutes before 7:30, though, so be ready...

Is anyone else even meeting at Don's on Saturday morning?

jcauseyfd
July 26th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Please note - first post updated to include link to a gpx file for use on Garmin devices.

Dirt
July 27th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Please note - first post updated to include link to a gpx file for use on Garmin devices.
Gracias, amigo.

hyper_blue
July 27th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I've seen mention in discussions about other events of two way radios. Are all the FRS/GMRS brands compatible? and is everyone planning on bringing radios for this trip? I was just thinking I might pick some up this evening...

jcauseyfd
July 27th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I've seen mention in discussions about other events of two way radios. Are all the FRS/GMRS brands compatible? and is everyone planning on bringing radios for this trip? I was just thinking I might pick some up this evening...

Yes, any of the brands you'll find in the box stores will work (Motorola, Midlands, Cobra, etc.). Just be sure to get some that can do the privacy channels. I need to get some new ones myself.

Swimbaxter
July 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Sorry guys,

We got as far as Mouth Of Wilson when whe we blew a code and went into limp mode. We had to make a run to Flow Mini and were lucky to make it. Monday we get to find out how much .... I can't wait........

WINGS
July 28th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck. Twill make the next one sweeter hopefully!
Today was Epic.... :) Sitting here Chillin reliving the day. Great Friends, MINI's, Roads, New Members, Weather, a rainbow at the end of the run to boot! 9878
Life Is Good!

Swimbaxter
July 28th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks, I am really hoping it's something simple (inexpensive). They won't be able to look at it until Monday. I hate we missed it and look forward to the next one.

Patrick

Siospins
July 28th, 2012, 11:55 PM
It was a fantastic drive - thanks so much to Jeff & Todd for running it, and Jeff Causey for doing the .gpx, and for everyone that came out - was so nice seeing everyone and making new friends. I'll try to get my pictures posted to flickr in the next few days; I'll post a link here when I do.

hyper_blue
July 29th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I know my wife and I enjoyed meeting everyone. If I had realized the pace of these drives we would never have attempted to do this together. My poor wife gets rather motion sick in the passenger seat.
But honestly it's a little faster than I am comfortable with, anymore; one reckless driving ticket has been one too many in my life (even if I did get it knocked down 10 over, it still cost a lot of money and a few days of driving classes and court).
In the future we'll probably stick to things like the food part of Minipalooza, maybe we do a slow group for the BRP tour.
But still it was great seeing other Mini loving people. And all of your cars are simply beautiful.

colejd
July 29th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I know my wife and I enjoyed meeting everyone. If I had realized the pace of these drives we would never have attempted to do this together. My poor wife gets rather motion sick in the passenger seat.
But honestly it's a little faster than I am comfortable with, anymore; one reckless driving ticket has been one too many in my life (even if I did get it knocked down 10 over, it still cost a lot of money and a few days of driving classes and court).
In the future we'll probably stick to things like the food part of Minipalooza, maybe we do a slow group for the BRP tour.
But still it was great seeing other Mini loving people. And all of your cars are simply beautiful.

Shawn,

I should have mentioned on the initial thread posting that the run would be spirited. Sorry. Thanks for coming down and meeting the other members. The Minipalooza run is less spirited especially if you stay towards the back of one of the subgroups. Also the roads aren't as twisty as VA-16.

WINGS
July 29th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Pictures from Yesterday, Again had a blast with all! Most VIVID Memory? Possum Slalom MINIs going on opposite sides of the dead 0possum in the road making it look like a MINI Ballet! Sorry I did not get video of that moment but it lives inside my head vividly. Thanks to the movie stars that made it happen!
Enjoy the Pictures. I have to add a few more from my phone!
https://picasaweb.google.com/109935818577253659925/TheSearchForSasquatch2012

MINIFIED
July 31st, 2012, 09:35 PM

Hi Shawn

Sorry that your first driving experience with the club was not what you expected .. when I first joined (4+ years ago) I felt pretty intimidated on the first outing and I proposed that perhaps the drives should have a "rating" system - like the movies do! - could even borrow the G, PG, PG-13, R, and X ratings .. and it was suggested that the "name" of the run should be an indicator of the pace .. ie Blimey's Tour of Terror will be run at a different pace than the Alpaca Family Drive .. and unfortunately a lot of first time attendees aren't familiar with the different drive leaders and their style .. JD is enthusiastic about the MINIs and has led drives for several different events and are generally well received. I do think sometimes the larger events - like the BRP - where people will break into groups offer more options for different driving styles ..

That said - PLEASE consider coming out to the Ice Cream Run drive this upcoming Saturday if it fits your schedule. I'm expecting this to be a more family friendly drive - I'm bringing at least one of my pre-teen nephews so even if Causey hasn't planned it as family friendly (and I expect it will be fun within reason; he's a seasoned organizer) - if the pace gets beyond my comfort level* there will be at least a small contingent that will let the ice cream melt before arriving if necessary! I encouraged a couple of other 1st timers to join this drive so I also feel somewhat responsible for making sure they have a good time! We have a great group of people, the cars are a blast, we haven't done a local ice cream run - ever - (though Causey and a few others, myself included - have driven for 5 days from Staunton to Bar Harbour on The Great Ice Cream Run) so please don't give up on the drives ..

Hope to see you Saturday!!

*seasoned club members stop :ponder: over that one, I just said I'll have my nephew(s) with me :girl_wacko:

hyper_blue
July 31st, 2012, 09:57 PM
I figured when JD said the minipaloza run should be more tame that we would give that one a try. And we might make it for the I've cream run, we'll have to see how our schedule works out.
After re-reading my post it seems a bit harsh, I only meant that perhaps I am much more cautious than I used to be on public roads. Especially unfamiliar ones.
Don't worry, we are definitely mini addicts, and will turn up at future events.
And it really was fun meeting folks.

MINIFIED
July 31st, 2012, 10:07 PM
Very good .. and though I'm sure you've seen it, in case anyone else needs the Ice Cream Run think (this Saturday! so far the weather is looking ice-creamy .. as in hot, and no rain!!) it's:
http://www.tarheelminis.org/showthread.php?8292-8-4-12-Beat-the-Heat-Ice-Cream-Run

tsimmsva
December 27th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Gosh...I see this is the 2nd annual ride that pass this July. Hopefully I can make it to the July 2013....will there been a 3rd one? We live close to this area and would love to go on a mini drive. :peaceful:

jcauseyfd
December 27th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Theresa,

I have a route all laid out for another Search for Sasquatch event. Just a matter of scheduling it and getting some money together since it will be a two-day event involving an overnight stay at a hotel (and probably a second night to get to the starting point so we can start early in the morning). Had to cancel last year due to the cost of repairs to my MINI. If things hold together, I'm hopeful I'll be scheduling one for this summer.

You might want to check out the New Year of Motoring Run (http://www.tarheelminis.org/showthread.php?9176-1-5-2013-New-Year-of-Motoring-Run) scheduled for Jan. 5th (little over a week away). We will actually be stopping in Independence for lunch as part of the route.