PDA

View Full Version : Ocracoke Run - April 12-13, 2008

BlimeyCabrio
October 21st, 2007, 03:33 PM
Update:
This event now has its own forum - click here for all the details! (http://www.tarheelminis.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
Locking this thread to prevent confusion!

Hi Gang -

I saw on NAM where the Portland club did an overnight "Fill the Ferry" run to Orcas Island in the San Juans (one of my favorite places in the world). I started thinking - since it's a little far for us to drive to the San Juans (about 3000 miles each way), I wondered what we could do that would be similarly cool...

Soooooo..... Let's do a weekend run to Ocracoke!. I'm going to do this April 12-13 since May and June are so busy already with MOTD and the BRP Run.

Probably have a meet point on the east side of Raleigh (Knightdale or Zebulon) for the Triangle area folks late Saturday morning, and pickup other "down east" folks en route. Piedmont, Charlotte area and western NC folks could drive over early Saturday, or could drive over Friday evening and stay near the Saturday AM meet point. We'll drive down to Swan Quarter, take the ferry across to Ocracoke, spend the night in one of the motels/inns there, take the Hatteras ferry mid-to-late Sunday morning and drive back through Manteo. A great way to see a lot of Eastern NC in a weekend... plus a beautiful sunset & sunrise... plus a couple of ferry rides... of course all club members would be welcome, though Triad (and Charlotte) folks would have to leave a bit earlier and get back a bit later - but that's only fair. ;)

Optionally, if some folks want to spend an extra night down there, you could choose to either drive down with us on Saturday and come back Monday, or go down on Friday and then drive back with us on Sunday.

MidnightDave
October 21st, 2007, 04:37 PM
I'm good for any of it! Great idea...when we 1st had our MINI we took a trip to the Outer Banks and were pulled out of line to get on the ferry when others thought there was no room left! Unfortunately, I couldn't find the camera at the time, however, I have shots from the ride back...

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7735/1171737imgbp2.jpg
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4451/1171732imgko4.jpg
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/9135/1171736imgsk1.jpg
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6487/1171733imgib6.jpg

TWISTER
October 21st, 2007, 05:13 PM
I'm so in for this!

MINI Rog
October 21st, 2007, 05:17 PM
We've made the trip many times. Might want to think of the ferry one way and come back through Manteo. They have lots of things to see and do there as well. Fall is not usually a good time to plan to go with the unpredictability with the weather. I was on Ocracoke one Fall Saturday evening and managed to catch the last ferry of the island due to a bad noreaster coming in. The island was closed to ferries for 36 hours after that.

jdavidson
October 21st, 2007, 06:08 PM
I hope we can make it...too far off to know for sure

wildcrazy442000
October 21st, 2007, 06:17 PM
Sounds good, but would not recommend Hurricane (or Hissicane season to be "PC")

minimark
October 21st, 2007, 06:56 PM
I'm in!:cool:

need7thgear
October 21st, 2007, 08:09 PM
Im in for it!

BlimeyCabrio
October 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM
Wow! Way cool that folks are interested in this... some great suggestions, too...

OK, here's some updated thinking - probably a SPRING run (to avoid hurricane season), and we'd probably take the Swan Quarter ferry one way (because it's closer than Cedar Island) and the Hatteras ferry the other. Probably have a meet point on the east side of Raleigh (maybe Knightdale or Zebulon) for the Triangle area folks, and pickup other "down east" folks en route. Piedmont, Charlotte area and western NC folks could drive over early Saturday, or could drive over Friday evening and stay near the Saturday AM meet point.

So, trying to narrow down good dates. MOTD is first weekend in May. The BRP run is second half of June. Palm Sunday is March 16, Easter is March 23. Looks like most school spring breaks are last week of March and first week of April. Memorial Day is May 26. What significant events or *bad* weekends am I missing? Looks like we may not have many *good* options...

CooperSKart
October 21st, 2007, 08:35 PM
Paul - Just to re-up our 2 cents to the groundswell of interest this does sound really good - We'd definitely be interested in doing this. I do agree though that Fall is particularly tricky in the OB (of course Spring & Summer in the OB can be interesting weatherwise also (we've experienced a noreaster & hurricane out there in Spring & Summer).

Vango
October 21st, 2007, 09:06 PM
sounds great hope we can do it...

Sgt Pepper
October 22nd, 2007, 07:37 AM
I'm in! :cool:

DSRH
October 22nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
I'm interested. Depends on the timing.....:)

I have quite a bit of experience with the OBX. I have been going there for 30 years. In fact I am planning to go again within 3 weeks for a fishing trip. If I can help let me know...

tarlander
October 22nd, 2007, 08:31 AM
Sounds good. If I can find a free weekend that coincides. Spring or Fall doesn't matter to me but I would go for the two day if possible.

Eepers
October 22nd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Sounds great Paul, excellent idea!

Rhiannon
October 22nd, 2007, 11:33 PM
OOOooooo Im so up for this! This sounds like it would be fun! How far is this away from Holden Beach area?

1QukMINI
October 23rd, 2007, 06:53 AM
Depending on my work schedule then, we might be in. I'd love to do it. Sounds like a blast!

MDK
October 23rd, 2007, 08:44 AM
Another mention that it's possible to do this in one day IF you don't live too ar west AND don't mind spending more time in the car than not. Early ferry to Ocracoke, look around, have lunch, catch a Hatteras ferry, see that area head north to Whalebone and then over to Manteo-dinner in Manteo and then home. It's a long day but possible incase someone really wants to go but can't do the whole weekend. I am very intersted in this and for once, I get an hour or two extra sleep!!! I also recomend doing the Swan Quarter ferry over. Paul, when you get an idea of the way you'll head down east let me and we can set up an eastern rendevous location

BlimeyCabrio
October 23rd, 2007, 01:26 PM
for once, I get an hour or two extra sleep!!!

Me too! :)

Yep, we'll rendezvous with you down east. See if you can scare up any buddies down there... :cool:

MDK
October 23rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Man I have not been sucessful with that-I hardly ever get the wave from the other MINI's here. Maybe their upset about some kind of football game and driving a red/white MINI doesn't help!

BlimeyCabrio
October 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Do you have any "spotter" cards (the "I spotted your MINI" THMMC ones)?

If not I can send you a stack so you can tag cars when you see them parked around town... I always do this and write a note on the back - it's gotten a few folks involved in our local meets here...

MDK
October 24th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I don't have any of those cards- I saw a mention of those on here, good idea. I can get some from you at the dragon run next week to save you the postage.

BlimeyCabrio
October 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Can-do, roomie. :cool:

N2MINI
October 24th, 2007, 11:31 AM
We'd be up for this most likely. I voted for the Fall, just because of Dragon and Blue Ridge Parkway Drive next spring..

MDK
October 25th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I prefer the OBX in the fall/winter as well but I can totally understand with the unpredictible weater and everyone driving so far it's better to set the trip for a calmer time of the year.

BlimeyCabrio
October 25th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I prefer the OBX in the fall/winter as well but I can totally understand with the unpredictible weater and everyone driving so far it's better to set the trip for a calmer time of the year.

Exactly my thinking. I'd RATHER do it in the fall, because there's so much going on in the spring and early summer... but it would suck to schedule something months in advance (with hotel reservations involved) and then have a storm make the whole thing go to heck in a handbasket...

MDK
October 25th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Yep, as they say in Boston, it's a pissah!

minianni
October 25th, 2007, 03:39 PM
that's wicked pissah.

MDK
October 25th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I stand beside the cah pahked in the yahd corrected.

Nascar Mini
October 28th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Sign Us Up, Nascar Mini +1,prefer (2 day) FWIW, April and May are not good for me.Sound like great fun!

wildcrazy442000
October 28th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Looking forward to going, whenever we decide to go.

MasterBlaster
November 4th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I hope we can make it. It will depend on timing.

In A Tizzy
November 5th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I would love to be a part of the trip!! My husband and I havent been able to go on a run yet, hopefully this will be our first. Keep us informed and look forward to it!

carbucks
December 3rd, 2007, 09:44 AM
Blimey . . . Any dates actually penciled in yet? This would be a great run and, to make it, reservations on the OBX will be tricky without planning well in advance. No date will work for all . . there's always great things to do both Spring and Fall. Thanks for your work on this! :D

carbucks
December 3rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Another thought on this . . . The Club's Anniversary being May 15, any interest in the run to Ocracoke the following weekend (May 16 - 19 window of dates) and make it an Anniversary Celebration? Great weather along the coast in May and ahead of Memorial Day rates . . . ?

BlimeyCabrio
December 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the nudge! Been crazy busy last few weeks - but calming down a little this week, I'll make some calls and check the calendar and propose a date. That third weekend in May seems like a pretty good option!

BlimeyCabrio
December 4th, 2007, 12:08 PM
For those of you who have spent the night on Ocracoke before - any recommendations for (or warnings against) places to stay? I've only day tripped it out there - so any experience with Ocracoke lodging is appreciated!

wildcrazy442000
December 4th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Hi Blimy, Lookup the Black Beard Inn.

BlimeyCabrio
December 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Blackbeard's Lodge? Looks really nice, but web site says they have a two night minimum...

wildcrazy442000
December 4th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Anchorage Inn has 35 rooms, BlackBeards Lodge 38 rooms. Looks like the only other place has 8 rooms. Ph for Anchorage Inn 252-928-1101.

wildcrazy442000
December 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Sorry looks like 8 hotels, My Bad--Sure that wasn't a two drink min.

BlimeyCabrio
December 4th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I was about to say - quite a few places listed here (http://www.ocracokevillage.com/accomodations.html).

wildcrazy442000
December 4th, 2007, 05:28 PM
If you click on the listings I found most are small just a few rooms. Condos for rent, houses for rent that sort of thing.

wildcrazy442000
December 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Blimey,
You look like you hit the mother lode of listings. All I need now is a Cooper.

carbucks
December 4th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Blimey . . . the third weekend works for me and I'm ready to make some reservations if others are on board. We are thinking of meeting up with you on the way down and perhaps spending an extra night on the island or back in Beaufort before heading back to WS.

Are you still thinking of heading east on Saturday morning? Heading back west on Sunday?

RudyT
December 6th, 2007, 10:57 AM
You guys are going to be motoring through my neck of the woods... You bet I'm interested. Count me in on this, tentatively.

sideshow
December 7th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but the National Park Service has a great campground on Ocracoke. It is the only way to stay near the ocean on the island. http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

I have been there during some truly nasty storms in the spring though.

I know a lot of people do not camp though.

MidnightDave
December 7th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Wifey's definition of camping: No room service.

ravedad
December 14th, 2007, 10:42 PM
This sounds like a laugh. I've never been to the outer banks, since this was our first summer in NC. A road trip would make a great adventure.

iCONiC1
December 21st, 2007, 08:57 AM
I would love to go on this run. Can meet up with you guys on your way east. I am leaving at the end of May to go to San Diego for USMC Recruiter School, so third weekend of May would be great timing!

FTGT101
December 22nd, 2007, 12:51 AM
Sounds like a great run. Count me in.

Nascar Mini
December 22nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Do we have a date yet? I know its still early,but in my business i got to plan in advance.There's HSR Vintage at VIR in Mar,Autofair in APR,Dragon,Mitty and Memorial Day in May,Gold Cup at VIR in June and of course 4th of July.So what weekend looks good?Personaly, the second or third weekend of April works for me,after Autofair (if you're into that) and pre Dragon.How about narrowing it down at least to several options? Opinions?
Bill

BlimeyCabrio
December 22nd, 2007, 09:06 PM
I'm planning to call next week and check availability for several weekends - then we'll pick a date. Right now the 3rd weekend of May (weekend before Memorial Day weekend) is what we're thinking - but that may change based on lodging availability.

wildcrazy442000
December 27th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Looking forward to this trip. I can smell the sea air already, oh wait a minute I have my shoes off.

Nascar Mini
January 6th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Any updates yet? Reason i ask is, wife has to put in for time off well in advance so that only one person is off per week,not a big deal for me .

Bill

BlimeyCabrio
January 13th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Sorry guys and gals - been insanely busy and just got back from a week out of the country - I'll try to make some calls this week so we can get this locked down.

BlimeyCabrio
January 19th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I updated the first post - I'm locking this in for April 12-13th - because May and June are just too busy already with MOTD and the BRP run, and there should be pretty much no crowds, no traffic, and no ferry issues by pulling it forward to early April. I've talked to some lodging folks and am awaiting call-backs from some others to lock down lodging - but preliminary info looks like there's plenty available at decent rates.

I'll start a separate sub-forum for this in the next few days, like the one Mark did for the BRP run to start collecting details, commitments, etc.

BlimeyCabrio
January 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Update! See the first post of this thread for details on hotel and ferry reservations! We're locked in for April 12-13!

Eepers
January 22nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
I hope to make this... it sounds like a great time! My wife is leaving that day for a photo expedition in Bhutan for 2 weeks, so it comes down to the logistics of how that trip goes and if my daughter will be sane enough for it :)

jdavidson
January 22nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Count us as locked in to this event!

Man I sure have been shuffling around my plans for all the MINI related events. So many to choose from!

BlimeyCabrio
January 22nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
Update!
This event now has its own forum! Click here for all the details! (http://www.tarheelminis.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
Locking this thread to prevent confusion.