PDA

View Full Version : Helenblitz 2013 (North Georgia)

colejd
December 30th, 2012, 08:54 AM
When: 22 and 24th of February, 2013.

Where: Helen, Georgia.

This is a gathering of Mini's in the mountains of North Georgia in a little village called Helen. While these clubs have not posted the details of the 2013 event to date I have pulled together this information and will post a link as soon as it is available. Helen is a little town is as German as you can get from the food to the beer and other spirits. Lots of shopping with a clock shop with hundreds of selections plus about everything else under the sun. Additionally, the Helen area is blessed with a number of excellent twisty roads and is a great way to start the year of Mini driving.

Two Mini clubs sponsor this event; MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas (M2C2) and Middle Georgia MINI club. This event has been an annual event for a number of years. Last year, 2 or 3 THMMC members traveled to Helen for this event. We have had a few drivers from our club go to this event you the last few years. Both clubs are friendly and welcome all Miniac's to their event. Last year drew a total of 54 Minis. The clubs usually base their lodging at a hotel called the Helendorf (http://www.helendorf.com, [706] 878-2271), where, last year, they had river side rooms for $79 and others for $54. You can just sign up and come, no entry fee to be part of this event. If you wait too late to get a room there are several nice motels in the town. A note, please call the other motels directly rather than going thru a travel site as this is off season and the you will save plenty. They have an auction this year at the pavilion at the Helendorf (lots of space) and dinner will be catered by Robert from The Old Bavarian Inn... where we normally have dinner Friday night! The auction with Mini Stuff, NASCAR stuff and alot more with all the monies going to the Wounded Warrior Project Charity. There will also be drives and tours of the Habersham Winery who, for this event, bottles a special Mini branded wine.

The mountain roads in this area are truly excellent and have some of the best twisties in the East. Note, Helen in located on the southern edge of the Blue ridge mountains and geographically south of Fontana Village. I have lead the main run for the last two years as well as taking the events group shot. I am going try my best (financially dependent) to make it three years in a row. It takes about 5.5 hours to travel to Helen from Durham and were usually have a convoy leaving Friday morning around 10. Hope to see some of you there.

The event website: http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/helenblitz-2013-february-22-24-2013-helen-ga/14862-helenblitz-february-22-24-2013-helen-ga.html#ixzz2GXLUgVOW

Some pictures from this years event:

MiniMidence
December 30th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Tentative!!!

Sir Tyne
January 6th, 2013, 07:44 PM
We've reserved our rooms at the Helendorf for the weekend. Bev & I are looking forward to a great winter weekend.:eagerness:

RTATUM
January 7th, 2013, 11:10 AM
I have this on my calender and plan to attend.. Hector.. if you want to go, if we are both traveling solo.. maybe we can split a room?

colejd
January 8th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Got my reservations.

tScott
January 9th, 2013, 12:14 AM
I'm going!! I've reserved my room at the Helendorf!!

WINGS
January 10th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Dang it, I gotta be in Maggie Valley that weekend! Guess I'll have to go run Wayah instead for my fix!

tScott
January 10th, 2013, 09:13 AM
We will miss you Ross!

MINIFIED
January 12th, 2013, 10:57 PM
For those who have never been, put this on your calendar .. it's a lot of fun, great roads, new MINI friends .. I've gone a couple of years. Not sure about this year yet, February is shaping up to be a killer month at work for me .. I won't be able to plan in advance, but maybe if all of the pieces fall together at the last minute I'll make it ..

For those thinking this is a looong haul to GA for a weekend -- a couple of thoughts. It's about equi-distant as the Dragon, it's not that bad. Avoid Concord Mills area on I-85 if coming from the east if at all possible. If you are going with a family, it is a fun excursion to go to the Cabbage Patch doll hospital nearby .. it's even fun for adults if you've never been. Avoid the temptation to "adopt" unless you are prepared to double your travel budget for the trip.

Another side note is that the BMW factory in Spartanburg SC is along the way. I had always hoped to head to Helen on Wednesday and spend Thursday at the tour and maybe even the driving experience ($$) before heading on to Helen with a group, but that won't work for me this year. But you don't have to go as a group, call the plant and make a reservation for a tour, it will help justify the long trip and break it up a bit and you WILL have a blast there .. maybe next year it will work to get a group to go ...

Any questions .. I'll see if I can help ..

RTATUM
January 13th, 2013, 11:10 PM
***Just booked my room!***

Zipycar
January 16th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Just booked our room; now, making notes from their website on what to do, where to go, where to eat and where to drink beer! The Troll Tavern (under the bridge) sounds like the latter.:angel::onthego::onthego::onthego:

Harmless Dave
January 24th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Room booked at the Helendorf. Now just have to wait! Will go to Cheicken Stew Ramble on Sat. to keep the MINI in good shape.

Zipycar
January 24th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Excellent Dave! We're booked there also; so, there's a good chance meet.:victory:

mtnmini
January 24th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Just great! You guys are coming down to my neck of the woods and I'll be in Kentucky that weekend. Damn!!

Harmless Dave
January 24th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Excellent Dave! We're booked there also; so, there's a good chance meet.:victory:

Great. See you there!

yardofbeef
January 29th, 2013, 01:34 AM
It's about time i got out to play - i am going to try and get to this. It looks like a lot of fun. Lets see if i can earn enough brownie points between now and then .....

RTATUM
January 29th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I hope you can make it! Obviously this will be my first year, but I'm looking forward to the drive, seeing new places and meeting new people! Can't wait!

Mr.Jim
January 29th, 2013, 12:46 PM
We're gonna try to make it at least one day.

colejd
January 29th, 2013, 03:48 PM
We're gonna try to make it at least one day.

If you are going to make it for one day, Saturday is the only real choice as Friday is just dinner and Sunday is breakfast and head home. Saturday has the group photo, winery tour, mountain drive, and the auction.

Harmless Dave
January 29th, 2013, 04:43 PM
It's about time i got out to play - i am going to try and get to this. It looks like a lot of fun. Lets see if i can earn enough brownie points between now and then .....

Great! You bring the brownies and I'll give you some points! :-) Hopefully, Miz Melly will be all suspended and booted by then and it sounds like a great place to break in all the new parts.

colejd
January 29th, 2013, 05:16 PM
For all of you heading down to Helenblitz on Friday the 22nd, Scott and I are convoying down to Helen and plan on attending the BMW tour (the 1 hour tour [$7.00 each], not the BMW driving experience). I am started out at 10:45 AM from Durham and passing the Clemmons, NC area around 12:15 so that we can arrive at the plant at 2:15 PM for the 3:00 tour. After the tour, it is about 2 hours from the plant to Helen, GA, so we should get in to Helen around 6 PM. If you wish to join us, please post your intent here so that we can coordinate the convoy details.

I have made a group reservation for 5 club members. If more than 5 people want to attend, the 6th individual and beyond must call the plant at 1-888-868-7269 to register for the 3:00 tour on the 22nd of February.

There is a waiver to sign (posted below) that all attendees need to sign and bring with them. Also there are clothing requirements that are required for the tour shown on the plant's website: https://www.bmwusfactory.com/zentrum/general-information/tour-and-museum-hours/

Mr.Jim
January 29th, 2013, 05:17 PM
If you are going to make it for one day, Saturday is the only real choice as Friday is just dinner and Sunday is breakfast and head home. Saturday has the group photo, winery tour, mountain drive, and the auction.

Thanks Jeff,
We're not sure yet which day as we might be heading back to Jersey on Saturday, ugh!

RTATUM
January 30th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Count me in for the Tour! I live here in Kernersville, so meeting up with you and Scott will be perfect! Thanks!

Siospins
January 30th, 2013, 08:41 AM
For those that haven't been before, this is a fantastic event! We had an absolute blast last year, and ate some of the best food of our lives - bring a forklift to help you back to the car from The Old Bavarian and Hoffers, your taste buds will thank you. (and watch out for white Priuses)

Reservations made at the Helendorf; count Ben & I in for the weekend, and the BMW tour - put us down for 2 spaces, and I'll tell Ben to leave his platform shoes at home. :playful:

And Stuart, you "otter" try real hard to win those brownie points - we'd love to see you again!
~Heather

MINIFIED
February 7th, 2013, 08:09 PM
<pooh> work schedule has me teaching an all day class on Friday and now I have students registered .. can't justify the drive for just Saturday and Sunday so I'll be there with you in spirit only for Helenblitz this year .. I may request someone carry back a bottle of wine (Merlot, Please!!) that I can buy from you ... gotta drown my sorrows somehow ..

(those who have never been: GO)

Harmless Dave
February 8th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Ready and waitin'. Miz Melly hs new suspenders, new wheels, new tires, de-carboned intake and fuel system, and a new 4 wheel alingment. She is ready to go!!

Harmless Dave
February 8th, 2013, 03:58 PM
alignment, alignment, dummy!

colejd
February 10th, 2013, 07:57 AM
<pooh> work schedule has me teaching an all day class on Friday and now I have students registered .. can't justify the drive for just Saturday and Sunday so I'll be there with you in spirit only for Helenblitz this year .. I may request someone carry back a bottle of wine (Merlot, Please!!) that I can buy from you ... gotta drown my sorrows somehow ..

(those who have never been: GO)

Susan,

Here is their description of the wine offerings. let me know which and I will procure you a bottle:

"Here is the news on the wine!!!! So the prices are.. Muscadine will be approximately $12, and there is tax and we are adding a wine.. Scarlett... which is their best selling wine.. It is an off dry red with just a hint of sweetness. which will be $11.20 plus tax.. of course with an awesome Blitz 2013 logo.. they make great presents.. birthdays.. anniversaries..... someone who just got a new cooper... road trips.. divorces.. (joking).. CHRISTMAS... thanksgiving... ( for the organizers of the blitz.. joking kinda hehehe) you know what I mean.. great gifts!!"

colejd
February 12th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Just as for the last 2 Helenblitz events, I am going to lead of one of the Saturday Helenblitz MINI runs, leaving from the Habersham Winery after the group picture on Saturday morning the 23rd (at approximately 10:30). We will be following the same great route as last year (see link). The route will take 3.5 hours; with a rest stop ~2 hours into the run.

Some reminders:

1) Please bring your FRS/GMRS radios
2) Those going on my run to bring snacks and drinks as my run will start around 10:30 and won't be back until 2:30. There will be no place to have lunch before or on route! Bring a cooler for this one!

Attached is a GPX file for use in loading Saturday's run onto Garmin GPS's. Note: that when loaded, the file give's you 3 different routes (1) the whole route (J Cole Route), (2) the route out to the Hwy 60 turnaround point (J Cole Route - Part 1), and (3) the route from the Hwy 60 turnaround point back to Helen (J Cole Route - Part 1). You should only upload the Part 1 & 2 routes as the GPS units get confused by the overlapping portions of the whole route.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=GA-17+N%2FGA-75+N%2FUnicoi+Turnpike&daddr=State+Route+180+to%3AGA-75+Alt+N+to%3AState+Route+180%2FWolf+Pen+Gap+Rd+to%3AGA-60+N%2FMorganton+Hwy+to%3AGA-9+N%2FUS-19+N+to%3A34.703213%2C-83.757234+to%3AGA-17+N%2FGA-75+N%2FUnicoi+Turnpike&hl=en&ll=34.733149%2C-83.914261&spn=0.462721%2C0.729904&sll=34.704082%2C-83.998375&sspn=0.231442%2C0.364952&geocode=Ff9PEQIdw6sC-w%3BFZImEwIdoooA-w%3BFe2xEAId4VsB-w%3BFbZvEgIdohL_-g%3BFUGNEgIdo577-g%3BFaawEAId7Kr_-g%3BFW2HEQIdTvcB-yn1ByXmAUhfiDGMoy9lReuB-A%3BFdxNEQId0KwC-w&mra=dme&mrsp=3&sz=12&via=6&t=m&z=11

For more information (including the GPX file) ... the FB page is up!!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/10150120757925123/

RTATUM
February 13th, 2013, 10:31 PM
And... unfortunately, something's have changed on my end, after all my excitement, I will no longer be able to attend, I have canceled my room, and have to back out of the tour at BMW as well! You guy's have fun and be safe!

tScott
February 13th, 2013, 10:56 PM
And... unfortunately, something's have changed on my end, after all my excitement, I will no longer be able to attend, I have canceled my room, and have to back out of the tour at BMW as well! You guy's have fun and be safe!

We will miss you Ryan!

colejd
February 13th, 2013, 10:57 PM

Ryan,

Sorry to hear you cant make it. Hope to see you at an upcoming event.

Deacs55
February 14th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Just wondering how "twisty" the roads are at Helen--everythng in my 2010 Clubman is stock ant it's automatic. I've never done the Dragon, so I can't compare anything there. I have done the Highway 8 run from Stanleyville to Stuart, VA though--any comparison there?:hypnotysed:

Ned

colejd
February 14th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Just wondering how "twisty" the roads are at Helen--everythng in my 2010 Clubman is stock ant it's automatic. I've never done the Dragon, so I can't compare anything there. I have done the Highway 8 run from Stanleyville to Stuart, VA though--any comparison there?:hypnotysed:

Ned

You should be fine. While the twisties are sweet they are not quite Dragon plentiful and concentrated. I am leading the main run on Saturday. If you stay near the back of the pack you should be fine. Remember to put the auto in sport mode (this means "sport button" on and shifter moved to the left position. This allows you to hold your gear and keep your revs high (essentially a clutchless shifter). if you need some help contact me with a PM.

Also, are you heading down Friday afternoon? If so we have a small caravan heading through WS around noon on Friday, stopping for a $7, 1 hour, tour at the BMW plant in SC. Feel free to join us.

Deacs55
February 15th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the advice! I've done the BMW plant door and it's really worth the stop. May do it again, tho--any idea where you will be leaving from on Friday?

tScott
February 15th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the advice! I've done the BMW plant door and it's really worth the stop. May do it again, tho--any idea where you will be leaving from on Friday?

We plan to meet at Flow MINI 11:45am then head to Greer for the tour.

Deacs55
February 15th, 2013, 11:28 AM
We plan to meet at Flow MINI 11:45am then head to Greer for the tour.
Thanks for the info--it sounds as if I may be "Last Man Standing", and I'm not completely sure I'll be going!

MINIFIED
February 16th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Susan,

Here is their description of the wine offerings. let me know which and I will procure you a bottle:

"Here is the news on the wine!!!! So the prices are.. Muscadine will be approximately $12, and there is tax and we are adding a wine.. Scarlett... which is their best selling wine.. It is an off dry red with just a hint of sweetness. which will be $11.20 plus tax.. of course with an awesome Blitz 2013 logo.. they make great presents.. birthdays.. anniversaries..... someone who just got a new cooper... road trips.. divorces.. (joking).. CHRISTMAS... thanksgiving... ( for the organizers of the blitz.. joking kinda hehehe) you know what I mean.. great gifts!!"

Thanks for the offer, JD .. yes, please bring back 2 bottles of the Scarlett for me and I will buy them from you.
Since I ended up with a bottle of white from last year and I'm not a white wine drinker, if there does happen to be some residual red from 2012, I'll take a bottle of that, too!

Have a great time .. I'm glad it wasn't slatted for this weekend (tho maybe it's not snowing in Helen like it is in Raleigh!)

Zipycar
February 20th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Just steer; Mini will do the rest. Remember, they have a road racing heritage, so, do not exceed your ability to drive and know what you can safely handle and the rest is just driving.:yeah!:

colejd
February 24th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Had a great time at this year's Helenblitz. Saw many friends and drove some nice twisties.

tScott
February 24th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the pics Jeff!!

WINGS
February 24th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Looks like in spite of the weather you guys had some good runs too! I wasn't too far up from you so I got to Bridal Veil Falls and Dry Falls too on Friday. Too bad I was solo but it was good Motoring! 10553
And in Sylva too! 10554
And the Actual Size Muffler car in Franklin was a MUST SEE! :D
To add one last Actual Size I got this on Thursday

tScott
February 24th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Nice pics Ross! You were missed at HelenBlitz!!

Zipycar
February 25th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Jeffrey, nice job on the pics. I'm sure those who didn't or couldn't attend are jealous. It was as much fun as you can handle. Great turnout!:bye: