PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Sunroof!!

MasterBlaster
November 20th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I was driving my family to Myrtle Beach today, and all of a sudden about 210 miles into our journey, the sunroof on our 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee exploded. After catching my breath, I pulled over at the next gas station to take a look. There was a hole in the middle of the glass sunroof and the edges were pushed upwards. It looks like it exploded from the inside-out. I don't think it was a rock because there wasn't much traffic around. Luckily, we had the sun shade closed, so we did not get covered in glass.

Has anybody heard of this happening before?

Of Course, now I get to spend part of my vacation time getting the sunroof fixed. Ughh! :(

BlimeyCabrio
November 21st, 2007, 09:29 AM
Yowzers!

Did it have aftermarket tint on it? I've heard of sunroofs breaking before due to overheating if tint is applied...

MasterBlaster
November 21st, 2007, 09:37 AM
Nope, It was the stock tinted sunroof. No after-market tint film was on the window.

I did a Google search on sunroofs exploding and it apparently happens from time to time on rare occasion.

UN4G1VN
December 4th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I had a rear window on a Ford Windstar work van do this in the driveway once. All the glass was laying in the driveway.