PDA

View Full Version : The Great Ice Cream Run 4 - NEWS & Info

yaemsiri
February 10th, 2013, 04:38 PM
The GREAT Ice Cream Run 4

Welcome to The GREAT Ice Cream Run 4 (a.k.a TGICR4) -another Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club adventure dedicated to MINI Owners who love to drive AND who love locally made delicious ice cream!

Due to the demands of non-MINI life events, Robyn Resch is not available to lead the run this year. To keep The Great Ice Cream Runís spirit alive, Iíve decided to organize the run for her this year.

The routes for this fourth version will be slightly different than what we did in 2011. We will make stops at our favorite ice cream parlors from past runs and add some new ones along the way from Staunton, VA to Bar Harbor, ME. The event will span 5 days long, sandwiched between two other large events - the Blue Ridge Parkway Tour and MINIs on Top. The route will take us from Staunton, VA to Gettysburg, PA to Port Jervis, NY to North Chelmsford, MA to Freeport, ME and end at Bar Harbor, ME. In addition to the awesome motoring and 3 ice cream stops daily, we will be visiting Antietam Battlefield, in Sharpsburg, MD, the Gettysburg Civil War Museum, PA and doing sightseeing at some of the lighthouses in Maine.

So make your plans to join us from June 16th Ė 21st. Do the entire run, or just join us for a day or two as we pass through your area.

Click below for information regarding

Route (http://www.tarheelminis.org/showthread.php?9377-The-Great-Ice-Cream-Run-4-Route)
Ice Cream & Meal Stops (http://www.tarheelminis.org/showthread.php?9378-The-Great-Ice-Cream-Run-4-Ice-Creams-Meals-Plan)
Hotels (http://www.tarheelminis.org/showthread.php?9379-The-Great-Ice-Cream-Run-4-Hotels)
T-shirt (http://www.tarheelminis.org/showthread.php?9397-The-Great-Ice-Cream-Run-4-T-Shirt)
Registration is now closed
Questions & Contact (http://www.tarheelminis.org/showthread.php?9380-The-Great-Ice-Cream-Run-4-Questions-and-Contact)

filet0fish
February 11th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Looks like I just might be able to do the triple crown this year.

RTATUM
February 11th, 2013, 11:24 PM
I have it on my calender, trying to make all 3 events actually =)

yaemsiri
February 13th, 2013, 08:04 PM
If you do MINI On Top, you must try to do sunrise at Mt. Cadillac and sunset at Mt. Washington all in one day. We did try 4 years ago but no luck. It was so foggy that morning so no sunrise for us.

yaemsiri
March 14th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Updated Day 2 route to include a tour stop at Yuengling Brewery, Pottsville PA.

MINIFIED
March 22nd, 2013, 09:27 PM
For any who have never done this drive, it is worth your summer vacation .. it's really really wordy, but here's a link to my post|post|post from this event several years ago:
http://www.tarheelminis.org/showthread.php?2625-Triple-Crown-Update&p=31785&viewfull=1#post31785

(I'm not planning to do MOT this year since I've done it twice and I'm going to use the extra days in Maine and not have to do the 17 hour speed drive back to NC in one day, but if you have never done MOT, DO IT .. of course, if they have a raffle for a MINI, I may have to change my mind .. :girl_wink:)

So .. I'm excited .. let's start an RSVP list:
(I've included the home states for possible caravan co-ordination options as well as to see how many states will be represented!)

Yaemsiri: Jak & Dusdee (Confirmed)
Yaemsiri's MINI lives in: NC
Attending: BRP/TGICR (VA to ME)
TGICR Alum x 2 (2013 Organizer)

FiletoFish: Josh (Confirmed)
FiletoFish's MINI lives in: MD
Attending: BRP/TGICR/MOT ("Triple Crown")
TGICR Alum x 1

RTatum: Ryan
RTatum's MINI lives in: NC
Attending: BRP/TGICR/MOT ("Triple Crown")

MINIFIED: Susan (Confirmed)
MINIFIED's MINI lives in: NC
TGICR Alum x 2

Eagle65: JP & Mary Ann (Confirmed)
Eagle65's MINI lives in: WV
Attending: TGICR (VA to ME)

Paleo: Troy & Mandy (Confirmed)
Paleo's MINI lives in: VA
Attending: TGICR
TGICR Alum x 1

RTHarvey: Ron & Lee (Confirmed)
RTHarvey's MINI lives in: FL
TGICR Alum x 2

Bart (Confirmed)
Lives in: GA

TimandBobbi: Tim & Bobbi (Confirmed)
TimandBobbi's MINI lives in: OH (Queen City MINIs)
TGICR Alum x 2

Bob ​(Confirmed)
Lives in: IL
Attending: TGICR/MOT

Bill (Confirmed)
Lives in: KY

Ned & Nayden (Confirmed)
Lives in: NC
Attending: TGICR (Day 0 & 1)

Michael & Laverne (Confirmed)
Lives in: KY

CoxAaron: Aaron & Barbara (Confirmed)
CoxAaron's MINI Lives in: VA
Attending: TGICR (Day 0)

John & a guest (Confirmed)
Lives in: MD
Attending: TGICR (Day 0 - 2)

Buddy: Randy & Beth (Confirmed)
Buddy's MINI lives in: PA (Carlisle MINI and C3M)

JohnD171: John Drake & Linda Martin (Confirmed)
JohnD171's MINI, Conda lives in: PA (Carlisle MINI, C3M, DC Metro MINIs, Philly MINI, PitStop MINI)

Al from Florida (Confirmed)
Waiting for additional details

Anna from New Jersey (Confirmed)
Waiting for additional details

WMHaner: Max & Wendy (Confirmed)
WMHaner's MINI lives in: NC
Attending: BRP & TGICR (Day 0 - 2)

Steelhead*: Ray and Peggy (Confirmed)
Steelhead's MINI lives in: MD
Attending: TGICR (Day 0 - 1)
*You won't find Steelhead under the Member List, it just got assigned :girl_wacko:
Steelhead are the parents of Filet0Fish and I'm pretty sure are TGICR alum .. I'll wait to be corrected! :topsy_turvy:

TOTALS:

34 people confirmed
21 MINIs confirmed (John & Celia, 1 or 2?)

States represented: 10
NC, VA, MD, KY, WV, FL, IL, OH, GA, PA, NJ

yaemsiri
March 23rd, 2013, 03:19 PM
Updated Susan's RSVP list in thread # 7

yaemsiri
March 24th, 2013, 04:27 PM
MINIs On Top (MOT) is an annual gathering event at top of Mt Washington NH. This year MOT will be held on Jun 21-22. Here is the link http://minisontop.com/

yaemsiri
April 12th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Updated Susan's thread #7 RSVPs. Total 18 confirmed.

yaemsiri
April 15th, 2013, 08:40 PM
4 signed up today, 22 people confirmed.

Buddy
April 20th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Completed the registration, Randy and Beth aka Buddy TGICR (Day 0 - 2) also a member of Carlisle MINI and C3M

johnd171
April 22nd, 2013, 09:53 PM
Conda: John Drake & Linda Martin (johnd171)
Conda lives in PA, York: (Carlisle MINI, C3M, DC Metro MINIs, Philly MINI, PitStop MINI)
We are going to the TGICR4..WOOT!
But before that we will be at MOTD 11.....:semi-twins:

Buddy
April 23rd, 2013, 07:05 AM
Conda lives in PA, York: (Carlisle MINI, C3M, DC Metro MINIs, Philly MINI, PitStop MINI)

The next several weeks are going to be great. Summit Point this Friday, FATT, MOTD next week, the Carlisle Import show May 17th thru 19th, and then the TGICR4. Maybe we can squeeze something in the middle. :ms_thumbsup:

johnd171
April 23rd, 2013, 10:33 AM
I wanna have your JOB that has all that vacation time and $$$$ !!! :-)

RSVP thread # 7 updated with John and Linda .. are you going all the way to Bar Harbour? (Jak indicated Day 0 - 2, let me know if needs update)

Others: Please review thread # 7 and if your name should be on there and isn't, or needs a correction to details including what days you will be joining us, please PM me so I can get it updated. There is still consideration to capping the drive at 25 MINIs going all the way ..
Linda and I will be joining Randy and Beth on all their adventures, but then we are both retired, which is the best job ever!!! :dance:

johnd171
April 23rd, 2013, 10:37 AM
The next several weeks are going to be great. Summit Point this Friday, FATT, MOTD next week, the Carlisle Import show May 17th thru 19th, and then the TGICR4. Maybe we can squeeze something in the middle. :ms_thumbsup:
Randy, aren't we squeezing the Blue Ridge run in there? :yeah!:

MINIFIED
May 8th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Did you know?

Historically The Great Ice Cream Run was organized as a charity fund-raiser, also.
TGICR4 will be supporting the Make-A-Wish Foundation (what goes together better than kids and ice cream? Well perhaps MINI owners who feel like kids and ice cream, right!)

Some of the Ice Cream stops will be supporting the cause in various ways and we will also run a 50/50 drawing each day (possibly multiple times a day if the patrons at an establishment at our arrival are interested) .. in years past some ice cream shops have donated Tshirts and free cone coupons toward the raffle .. are you feeling lucky?

One of the shops has purchased 2 of the TGICR4 Tshirts -- how cool is that, they are so excited that we are coming!

So who's coming for ice cream?
Lastest update/MINI count (which somehow is now on post # 6 of this thread instead of 7 .. but do check for your details and post any updates!)

TOTALS:

32 people confirmed
20 MINIs confirmed (John & Celia, 1 or 2 MINIs?)

States represented: 10
NC, VA, MD, KY, WV, FL, IL, OH, GA, PA, NJ

Why aren't YOU??

MINIFIED
May 9th, 2013, 09:26 PM

John and Linda .. I think I saw you several times at MOTD11 .. does your MINI have a front license plate that says Conda?
If so, I am sorry for as many times as I saw you that I didn't stop and say Hello and introduce myself .. tho we will have plenty of time next month (and that's when I'm better at remembering names, multi-day events!) .. so looking forward to "officially" meeting you ..

For anyone else subscribed who gets this note .. we are now up to 32 people and 21 MINIs! Check out the RSVP list on post # 6 of this thread (would love to get some additional details for some of the first timers!)
Also, T-shirt orders close in a week .. if you didn't order, there are always people who wish they had when they don't, so give it a 2nd thought and go ahead and order now ...

johnd171
May 11th, 2013, 03:29 PM
John and Linda .. I think I saw you several times at MOTD11 .. does your MINI have a front license plate that says Conda?
If so, I am sorry for as many times as I saw you that I didn't stop and say Hello and introduce myself .. tho we will have plenty of time next month (and that's when I'm better at remembering names, multi-day events!) .. so looking forward to "officially" meeting you ..

For anyone else subscribed who gets this note .. we are now up to 32 people and 21 MINIs! Check out the RSVP list on post # 6 of this thread (would love to get some additional details for some of the first timers!)
Also, T-shirt orders close in a week .. if you didn't order, there are always people who wish they had when they don't, so give it a 2nd thought and go ahead and order now ...
No that wasn't us, though I saw that MINI as well, never saw the driver only the MINI. Our 07 MCS is Pure Silver w/Black roof and mirror caps, she also has dual stripes on the bonnet and boot, pair of MINI driving lights and a pair of hella 500 fog lights, should post a photo.....:peaceful:

mr. toad
June 27th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Nathan posted this on Motoring Alliance today. I guess Susan and I are famous now... :-)

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/photos-video/18473-video-great-ice-cream-run-stops-ellsworth.html#axzz2XFpQkY91

yaemsiri
June 27th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Yes, you are....

MINIFIED
July 3rd, 2013, 12:28 PM
I have been remiss in posting an update about this event .. what an AWESOME job Jak and Dusdee did in organizing this drive and making it so memorable. I believe we started out in Staunton with 20+ MINIs, picked up a few along the way and had a few unfortunates who had to go back to work (or whatever) before we made it to Bar Harbour .. next time, next time! We had 11 MINIs that went the full route to Bar Harbour. It was great getting to know new MINI people, as always. I believe we had 10-12 states represented. I think everyone had a good time! There is preliminary talk of an ice cream run next summer in a different direction .. that's a true testiment to what a good time was had by all ..

For those who were following the charity aspect of this event - $477 was raised for Make A Wish foundation - from the contributions made by a couple of the ice cream shops to the 50/50 raffle drawings. A special thank you to the 50/50 club winners who subsequently re-donated their winnings - such a generous gesture and that definitely upped the donation amount by $100 .. I'm so proud of this club and my fellow MINI-iacs .. (I have to be honest, I've never heard of MINI-ots as noted in the news articlet on the link above .. )

Til next time ....

(I'd dieting!)

mr. toad
July 3rd, 2013, 02:08 PM
I believe a good time was had by all. You may be dieting, but I think some of us are going through ice cream withdrawal. :-)

Saw this on Huffington Post. Maybe some ideas for next time?...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/02/best-ice-cream-shops_n_3535168.html

MINIFIED
July 3rd, 2013, 03:57 PM
I believe Trip Advisor - or someone - had rated the top ice cream shop per state - 2 of our stops were considered best in their respective state (Ben and Bills in Bar Harbour for Maine and Klines in MA) .. and our drives have never included Carl's in Fredericksburg VA which is still probably my all time favorite - though fortunately I get there on a pretty regular basis .. since the idea that's being tossed out for next summer is an Ice Cream Run to the Keys, I did happen to notice that Florida's "best" was just south of Gainesville .. on the way no matter which way you're comin' from!