Turkey Ramble Rally

In the tradition of the last three years, I am planning to once again conduct a rally in November to kind of bring things to a close for the year before we hit the winter months. Similar to previous events, we have a whole new word to describe a turkey's method of movement - this year it is a "ramble". Unlike previous years, I am not going to be able to do this the weekend before Thanksgiving as I have schedule conflict. But it is still in November, so it should count.

For this year's event, I have planned a route that will carry us up Hwy. 66 (which I call "the Bullfrog"), then over to Mt. Airy. From there, we will head up into the mountains to make some runs up and down a variety of "gap" roads - Piper's Gap, Fancy Gap, Ward's Gap, Orchard Gap, and Willis Gap. We will stop at Rap's Orchard Gap on the Blue Ridge Parkway for some lunch. From there, we will continue north using roads like Squirrel Spur Road to work our way up to Meadows of Dan then looping back through Stuart, VA, down Hwy 8 to the east of Hanging Rock, and eventually we get back to our starting spot.

Below is a Google Maps version of the route. I also have a gpx file available for those with Garmin GPS units (that can use them - not all can) and a printable route sheet in PDF format. Total driving time should be between 3 and 4 hours and probably about an hour stop for lunch.

In conjunction with this event, I will be collecting funds for the Bears on Patrol (www.bearsonpatrol.org) program. Bears on Patrol provides Teddy Bears to law enforcement agencies to use when responding to incidents that involve small children. The Teddy Bears are provided to the children as a way to reduce the trauma they may experience.

Hope you can join us! Please post in this thread if you are planning to attend so I can plan accordingly and let Rap's know how many to expect for lunch. Thanks!

Turkey Ramble Rally
Saturday, November 3, 2012
Start Time ≈ 9:30 am
Start Location ≈ Lowe's Home Improvement, 5901 University Parkway, Winston-Salem NC 27105
Driver's Meeting ≈ 10:00 am
Wheels Up ≈ 10:15 am (at end of Driver's Meeting)
Lunch ≈ 12:00 pm (approximate)
Lunch address ≈ Rap's Orchard Gap, 1113 Dusty Ridge Rd., Fancy Gap, VA
Conclusion ≈ 2:30 pm

Tentative List Attending:
jcauseyfd
claud
MiniMidence (tentative)
tScott
Jack$on (maybe)
AXA06
diana101 (tentative)
yardofbeef